Drive line CLUNK and FIX!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSTi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any specifics for the awd 6 speed part number?

I ended up having to call Ft. Wayne Clutch, and I highly recommend you do to get the right parts as it's not listed on their website which part is the right one for your truck.

Getting the old ujoint out was a pain in the ass. the driveshaft had 180k on it and I had busted the old bearing caps off pressing out even after burning out the nylon locks in the OEM ujoint.

That said, I'm absolutely satisfied with the package from Ft. Wayne Clutch. I ordered my stuff on Tuesday, it came in Thursday, Had it installed by Saturday morning. No more slip/stick clunk. I used some teflon grease on the splines as well.

The inside snapring u-joints are amazing. I was skeptical at first since I haven't used them before, but I'm impressed with how beefy the bearing caps were. By the time I was done I had less drivetrain vibes and no more clunk.

This is the kit, waaay cheaper than OEM - and a better U joint.

http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/inde...s-40032054-88963576-12479383-n3r-3-9161x.html

warndogg

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for this post. I just bought a 96' 4x4 hoe about 3 weeks ago and I got the clunky clunks. For the longest time I thought it was my trans or dif. Glad I stumbled on this thread! Anyone have a link to a step by step of removing the yoke & U-joint and replacing? I've never replaced U-joints or messed with a driveshaft any tips or links would be greatly appreciated.

Woodse

Reaction score
I had my yoke done professionally.clunk has been gone for good.

baker45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wow. I hope this is my issue as I have a 99 4x4 Tahoe 6 inch lift 360,000km on it and have changed all my u-joints, front a arm busings, engine and trans mounts (swapped in new eng anyways), had front driveshaft lengthened to fit the lift, new body mounts, new leaf spring bushings, leaf spring u-bolts, swapped in a 14 bolt diff (was doing it anyway), new tcase (old one broke), all in the hopes of fixing the clunk and modding the truck. Im down to this yoke update or leaf spring bushings

Hothgar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found this thread. I have a 2004 suburban z71 that is making a clunk when it shifts going up a mountain. I think it is into second from first. It happens when I get on it to get up the hills faster. Just once as it shifts. Could this be the same problem? Just changed the transfer case fluid and it was dirty red. Put in the auto Trac ii. Thanks for any help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts