Drive line CLUNK and FIX!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B town fernie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2 wheel drive and it does the same thing after i release the brake pedal. Dont know what it is?

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this, after a bit of a problem, I'm all done and the nickel slip yoke works great. You don't want to keep greasing your yoke, the grease will degrade your fluid over time plus its a PITA to keep doing it. I ordered the wrong one from gm parts direct, the one that ends with 702 I believe, is for a ext cab 4 WD, they wouldn't take it back so now I have a 200 dollar paperweight until I find someone who could use it. The shipping also was expensive and took forever. I ordered the correct one for our trucks from drive train America.com, the part # is 40032054. I just installed it and it fits great and they were very quick with the shipping, only cost 115 bucks as well. Highly recommend them. First time I ever changed a u joint and it went really well. If you are on the fence, DO IT! It really is worth it.

GA_Boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this, after a bit of a problem, I'm all done and the nickel slip yoke works great. You don't want to keep greasing your yoke, the grease will degrade your fluid over time plus its a PITA to keep doing it. I ordered the wrong one from gm parts direct, the one that ends with 702 I believe, is for a ext cab 4 WD, they wouldn't take it back so now I have a 200 dollar paperweight until I find someone who could use it. The shipping also was expensive and took forever. I ordered the correct one for our trucks from drive train America.com, the part # is 40032054. I just installed it and it fits great and they were very quick with the shipping, only cost 115 bucks as well. Highly recommend them. First time I ever changed a u joint and it went really well. If you are on the fence, DO IT! It really is worth it.

So the one you purchased fits and works on a 99 OBS 4 door 4x4? Also I guess I need to look under my tahoe and figure out which tranny I have.

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the obs escalade, 4l60 trans, 246 transfer case (2,4 auto, 4 high, 4 low), so if that's what you have then that part number should be the same. Mine is a 99.

speedblurr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, new here. I had this same problem with the clunk. I changed the u joint and a buddy at the Chevy dealer gave me the grease for the slip yoke. It is Steelco Industrial Lubricants Inc. 488-1 Red Crown Lubricant. And it does wonders. Just wanted to share it with yas.

Edit: Take a minute and google this stuff, its pretty wicked thick.

Last edited:

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem is that the grease eventually wears away and you keep doing it every few months. I used Green Marine Grade grease, highly recommended by everyone and the thickest stickiest crap I've ever seen. That worn out grease mixes with your fluid and breaks that down, then your left with a burnt out tranny or transfer case depending on your application. That's why I went with the permanent fix. Oh BTW, I guess it's a good update time, is still smooth as silk. After I changed out the yoke, I switched out the fluid for fresh GM blue. :happy160:
Good luck!

speedblurr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem is that the grease eventually wears away and you keep doing it every few months.

Well I suppose everyone will have different results, as I changed u joints and greased the yoke going on 2 yrs now, no clunk and no breakdown of this grease. It makes honey look like water. And for the record, this isn't the grease they originally started using, it was upgraded after they had problems with the old stuff breaking down.:cheers:

96redsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my tahoe since 2001 and never had a problem until I changed my U-joint last year. Still haven't got a round to grease the yoke yet and winter in the N.E. seems to be going on forever this year... :/

bd1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't disagree, I think it varies between every truck. All you are doing is filling in the slack between the contact points of the shaft and yoke, so one might be more worn than another. My original had 125,000 miles. I'm glad your grease worked out, if I end up with another gm full size I will probably give it a shot. However, I'm just saying if you find it only lasting temporarily, then repeatedly greasing it will eventually cause damage, and I would suggest replacing with the nickel yoke.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

96redsport, I'm from around Pittsburgh so I feel your pain as I don't have a garage to work on. To grease, it really only takes 20 mins, and I'm no professional mechanic and all I have is ramps. All you need is a 7/16 wrench and a big screwdriver or something to free up the joint from the rearend and pull it straight out. Stuff some grease in the slipyoke, slide it back in , set the ujoint back in and tighten back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094