Dream Garages

Discussion in 'Garage' started by yates ™, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Danny3737

Danny3737 Full Access Member

Name:
    Danny
    I'd love to have a nice garage and all the toys, but my pesky kids want to go to college.

Right now, I'd settle for an extra 500 sqft of garage space like I had at my previous house.

Galante and swathdiver like this.
  2. goodinblack

goodinblack 1611 1911 Supporting Member

Name:
    Paco
    It's the cats ass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. yates ™

yates ™ Resident Apple hater Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Derek
    I had to downsize also.

4. yates ™

Name:
    Derek
  5. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    My garage setup is far from my "dream garage" but I know a lot of people would give up a lot to have what I have. I have an oversized 2-car attached garage with built-in cabinets and large storage shelves along one side and there is still room to swing the doors open. Then I have a 30x30 detached, climate controlled shop ...

6. iamdub

iamdub Content may not be suitable for all audiences

Name:
    Chris
    Sounded like you were describing mine up until the climate-controlled part.

7. yates ™

Name:
    Derek
    And here I had to give up space :(

Galante likes this.
  8. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    Lots of valuable tools in there, including a 15 x 78 LeBlond lathe that i fully restored top-to-bottom. I don't want rust happening. So when I say climate controlled I mean it's insulated, has heat, and I run the air-conditioning just enough to keep the humidity down. It actually stays fairly cool by itself.

And climate controlled is fairly easy once you have insulation done. It cost me about $1900 to add insulation and electrical, and $1200 to install my own Fujitsu mini-split heat-pump.

iamdub and Galante like this.
  9. iamdub

iamdub Content may not be suitable for all audiences

Name:
    Chris

Jelly of the lathe.

Rust isn't a problem, but bugs are. Everyone around me has shops and they're full of spiders, cobwebs and dead bugs on the floor along the walls and in the corners. I wanted mine to be as sealed as possible so it'd stay clean like the Horsepower TV garage (is that show even still on?). It's spray-foam insulated because I planned to climate control it once it was on it's own 200-amp service. I have a 3 ton A/C setup stored in the loft (air handler and condensing unit) with electric heat. I had so many plans and collected the necessary equipment and materials. One of those plans was a clear-floor 2-post lift. Shop is a 30x40x12 with 2:12 pitch so it's JUST high enough in the center for a lift tall enough to have a full-size truck high enough for me to walk under without having to duck. But life has changed and I just don't think I'm gonna do anything further with it because my focus now is getting the hell outta Louisiana. I hope the buyer of my house is a tinkerer and wants me to leave the shop building materials (A/C, OSB sheets for the walls, misc. electrical, etc.) as well as the fabrication stock (angle, flat, square and round stock, etc.) because I really don't wanna have to get rid of everything to sell the property.