Dreaded stability sys disabled message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Centaurette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 206,600 miles on it. Here's what happened. My brake booster was leaking so my mechanic friend and I replaced it. No major issues and I did the under-dash work since he's too big. Backed it out of the garage...no lights, no error messages, and no leaking. Yay! Or...so I thought. When I drove to work, I was slowing down to a light and my Stability Sys Disabled message came up on my dash. There's no change in performance and no warning lights on the dash. Side note, my friend noticed that a couple of my LEDS had burned out of my replacement 3rd brake light. After trial and error, I've determined that I HAVE to get over 35mph and then drop down to 5mph for it to happen. If I stay under 35 mph or never need to slow down to 5mph (after going over 35mph), the message never comes on. I took it to my mechanic who has a good scan tool and he pulled up 1-3 codes (some were intermittent). One of them I believe was a P0719. He determined that I needed a new brake switch. Since I had already been there and done that, I replaced the switch myself. After changing the switch, I took it for a drive. Got up over 35mph and the INSTANT I touched the brake pedal, the message came up. Went to Home Depot to pick up an order and, on the way home, things went back to the new normal 5mph then message. I since replaced the 3rd brake light with an OEM instead of a cheapy LED since I've read that burned out bulbs can cause this too. I've also checked fuses...all good. Since my mechanic is venturing towards a different career (a BAD motorcycle wreck makes wrenching difficult and painful), he's available less and less so I want to try to get this solved on my own. My friend DID take the underhood fusebox off to get the booster out without having to remove the master cylinder so there's a theory that something may have loosened up in the fusebox.

Any ideas on what else I could be looking at?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I have nothing for you otherwise. I know my Stabilitrac light is on along with ABS as a wheel speed sensor is disconnected and I just need to reconnect it, but sounds like you guys weren’t near the wheels at all.

Im sure someone will chime in with a much better answer than me!

OP
OP
C

Centaurette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have nothing for you otherwise. I know my Stabilitrac light is on along with ABS as a wheel speed sensor is disconnected and I just need to reconnect it, but sounds like you guys weren’t near the wheels at all.

Im sure someone will chime in with a much better answer than me!

I thought maybe a wheel sensor since the power steering fluid from the booster drenched everything on that side of the suspension, but it didn't come up as an issue with the codes so that was ruled out. I ALMOST wish there was more like lights on the dash or something to put a better finger on what's causing the issue. That's why I came here...in hopes that the fact that the Tahoe speed is the trigger for the message and someone might say "aha...this is why". ;-)

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe a wheel sensor since the power steering fluid from the booster drenched everything on that side of the suspension, but it didn't come up as an issue with the codes so that was ruled out. I ALMOST wish there was more like lights on the dash or something to put a better finger on what's causing the issue. That's why I came here...in hopes that the fact that the Tahoe speed is the trigger for the message and someone might say "aha...this is why". ;-)
Do you have, or have access to a scan tool/code reader that can read ABS?

Do you have issues with your cruise kicking off randomly by any chance?

OP
OP
C

Centaurette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have, or have access to a scan tool/code reader that can read ABS?

Do you have issues with your cruise kicking off randomly by any chance?

We did do that...it came up with the code I posted above. I don't remember what the other 2 codes were. My cruise control doesn't work which is also why we thought the brake switch...n a new OEM switch didn't fix it. That's why I went looking thru the fuses.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did do that...it came up with the code I posted above. I don't remember what the other 2 codes were. My cruise control doesn't work which is also why we thought the brake switch...n a new OEM switch didn't fix it. That's why I went looking thru the fuses.
And it’s just the message about Stabilitrak disabled and not and ABS light?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise control failure could be the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk switch).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne