Dreaded p0449 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaronradd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got this code and I changed the evap vent solenoid that's above the spare tire. The gas cap looks fine. Not sure what else to do. Any help would be appreciated. It's a 08 Tahoe with a the 5.3.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is another solenoid on the intake they run about $35.00 usually if it's not the rear one then it's the front one so most people just shotgun it and do both and usually the canister as well, but if pellets didn't come out of then your probably good.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas cap – ACDelco GT330

Vapor cannister purge valve on intake – ACDelco# 214-1680

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’d be surprised about the gas cap it may look ok but at 11 years old it’s cheap insurance.

OP
OP
A

Aaronradd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took out the solenoid on the intake it was clean and works fine. I tested it using a couple wires off the battery and had my son blow through it and it seems to be working fine. Both solenoids are working so does that mean the charcoal box is bad?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I took out the solenoid on the intake it was clean and works fine. I tested it using a couple wires off the battery and had my son blow through it and it seems to be working fine. Both solenoids are working so does that mean the charcoal box is bad?

Take it off and shake it. If it rattles, it's done. If that's the case, you should also remove and blow out all the lines down there. Those loose pellets from the canister clog them up.

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont just replace parts fo the hell of it.. take it to a shop and have them tell you the exact problem. I replaced both solenoids and the charcoal canister. i still get the code

aba87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d check all the evap lines for any signs of charcoal. The charcoal canister on my 2005 Tahoe came apart internally and sent charcoal pellets throughout the system. The pellets were in the line going to the tank and all the way up to the purge valve. There is a connection on the drivers side where the plastic line switches to metal over the transmission. That connection must be disconnected on order to blow all the charcoal out of the lines. The way the metal tube is cut acts like a check valve when trying to blow air either way thru the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9