Door molding removal instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay the guy that posted the thread on how to remove the side moldings his way takes along time and is potentially dangerous to your paint job you dont need to go to and RC shop and by that fuel they use in rc planes wich is basically 120 octane fuel wich i would never use unless your paintjob is brand new like on his newer tahoe if you got chips in the clear coat or in the paint job around those moldings bad news
also the string method people are doing dont do that either your going to spend half a year trying to get all that adhesive tape it leaves behind

seriously no shit just follow my instructions send me a PM or email if you have any questions ill try to explain as best as i can
so
all you need is
heat gun
plastic puddy knife
and some mechanics gloves
you mite need some goo gone if you leave a little adhesive

the adhesive tape that holds the modlings runs along the top and bottom so take the heat gun and keep running it back and forth along the top and the bottom of the molding get it nice and hot then stick the plastic puddy knife on one end and start peeling it up untill you can get your fingers behind the molding and just slowly pull and keep running your heat gun along the molding and all that tape will come right alot with the molding now if you see its leave alot of tape behind STOP go to the other end of the molding and start peeling it away from that end
basically if you take got yer fist molding off and pretty much all the tape is still stuck to yer door you didnt get the molding hot enough it your not going to be able to peel the molding away with a bare hand get some mechanixs glove hell if your broke go grab some oven mittens out of your kitchen
if you leave any tape use some goo gone and rub it off then polish the whole area where the moldings were i used flitz then wax and viola

i did my whole vehicle including the tahoe badges in just over an hour
and my hands are blister free and if anyone thinks im full of it
if there is anyone on the forum here in phoenix thats got there moldings still on and wants them off send me an email well make arrangements and you buy the beer and i will happily come and show you exactly how to do it and i gauruntee well be done under an hour and 1/2 as long as youve got the items i listed above

attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20131231_002[1].jpg
    WP_20131231_002[1].jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator: