Door Locks, Hazards, Alarm - All Going Off: Anyone Experience This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Rainy day today. Wife called me this morning to tell me that while she was driving the door locks kept locking/unlocking, hazards flashing, and when she parked the alarm sounded. Happened one more time so she shut down and restarted the car and it hasn’t happened since.

About 3 days ago I disconnected my battery ground cable to install a 2” front level. Also dropped the rear for a coil spacer (didn’t complete the install). I don’t think this is related, but because of the timing of that plus the uncommon SoCal rain it feels worth mentioning.

Have any of you experienced anything like this before? Trying to figure out where to start...

2016 Yukon XL SLT

Best regards,

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on any vehicle and especially not the K2 series, but my first thought is something with the factory remote keyless entry/alarm system, maybe even the fob itself, since all of those actions happen when using this system. When you press the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the fob, don't the parking lights flash along with the doors locking or unocking? Did the fob get wet? Next time it's being driven, press the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the fob and see if it repeats the symptoms. Maybe shake, tap or bump the fob to see if it is broken and transmitting randomly while driving.

OP
OP
D

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
The key fob has a relatively new battery, so I think I can factor that out. However, the key fob is original and in fairly rough shape (the car was a former rental), so I wouldn’t be opposed to getting a new FOB if need be. It’s been dropped a bunch, but I don’t believe it’s gotten wet.

The other thing that’s been happening that I forgot to mention is an intermittent brake light issue on the driver side. It works most the time, but sometimes it goes out. I’ve heard others describe this happening before it fails completely. I’ve already researched how to repair it, but I have opted to not cut the thing open until it’s totally dead.

Perhaps it’s an electrical something or other instead? I’ll be going through all the ground leads in the areas I worked on the suspension to see if anything is loose or damaged. Also going to check the wiring above the front struts as that stuff had to be pulled free of the studs to install the leveling spacer.

Thank for all your advice this week!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key fob has a relatively new battery, so I think I can factor that out. However, the key fob is original and in fairly rough shape (the car was a former rental), so I wouldn’t be opposed to getting a new FOB if need be. It’s been dropped a bunch, but I don’t believe it’s gotten wet.

The other thing that’s been happening that I forgot to mention is an intermittent brake light issue on the driver side. It works most the time, but sometimes it goes out. I’ve heard others describe this happening before it fails completely. I’ve already researched how to repair it, but I have opted to not cut the thing open until it’s totally dead.

Perhaps it’s an electrical something or other instead? I’ll be going through all the ground leads in the areas I worked on the suspension to see if anything is loose or damaged. Also going to check the wiring above the front struts as that stuff had to be pulled free of the studs to install the leveling spacer.

Thank for all your advice this week!

I'd pin the brake light issue as being non-related to the other quirks. Actually, I've read of plenty of head- and taillight failures on these things ranging from internal condensation to frequent bulb and LED panel failures.

OP
OP
D

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
I'd pin the brake light issue as being non-related to the other quirks. Actually, I've read of plenty of head- and taillight failures on these things ranging from internal condensation to frequent bulb and LED panel failures.

There’s a little bridge in the circuitry of the LED taillight that has a tendency to break - probably from temperature fluctuation over time - that really has no business being manufactured in such a dainty manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts