Door lock actuator replacement DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooneywa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I had my driver's side door lock actuator go out this weekend and replaced it so I figured I'd write up a DIY. I didn't take any pics because I didn't think to while I was doing it, but hopefully the writeup will get you going in the right direction.

Symptoms: Door will lock and unlock manually but will not respond to auto or key-fob unlock. Mine would work occasionally.

Parts: Door lock actuator - remember to bring in your VIN so you get the right one. Mine, with a mil discount was $125 out the door.

Tools:
10mm socket
Socket Extension
30 Torx bit
Trim removal tools

Prep: Start with the window up.

1. Remove the trim surrounding the window/lock controls - it will bring up the entire controller.
2. Disconnect all of the wires from the window/lock controller. Don't worry about remembering which wire goes where because they are color coded and the controller lists where each color goes when you reattach.
3. Remove plate from behind door handle - it should expose a 10mm bolt
4. Remove plate from behind grasp on door (in the middle) - it should expose 2 10mm bolts.
5. Gently pry back the small square on the manual interior door lock (upper corner of the door) to release the manual interior door lock. This should expose a long threaded metal rod.
6. Remove all 3 10mm bolts.
7. Take trim remover and gently (can't emphasize this enough) pull away door panel. I started along the window and worked my way down.
8. Pull panel down but it will still be connected to a wire that runs from the door lock actuator to the door lock handle.
9. Remove this wire. It is held to the door handle by a wire with a ball on the end. The plastic parts just prior to the ball should be gently lifted out and the ball and wire will follow.
10. Loosen and remove the 3 torx screws that hold the door lock actuator to the actual door.
11. Reach in back to where the door lock actuator is and you will find three metal rods.
1. The one closest to the interior side of the door is the rod for the interior manual lock/unlock. Leave that one alone.
2. The one on the opposite side of the actuator but nearest to your hand is the rod that connects to the exterior door handle. It is held to the actuator by a yellow plastic clasp. Undo this clasp by opening it like a book.
3. The last one is the trickiest. It is the rod that is used by the exterior manual lock. It is held by a small red plastic clamp. Reach your hand to the rod nearest the plastic clamp and give a firm but gentle push towards the back of the car.
12. You should have the door lock actuator and two metal rods attached and you can gently remove the actuator from the door. I moved it down and to the outside of where the window tracks are.
13. The electrical connection must now be removed from the actuator. This is pretty easy to see how it goes once you pull the actuator down.
14. With the actuator outside of the car, remove the rods and remember where they go for your new one.
15. Reattach the rods to the new actuator and then reattach the electrical wire.
16. Place the actuator back in the door near where it used to go and put the interior manual door lock rod into its place first. Then reconnect the rod to the red plastic clamp for the exterior manual door lock. Finally reattach the bottom of the exterior door handle rod to the yellow plastic clamp.
17. Reattach torx screws to secure the actuator.
18. Make sure the wire from the actuator to the interior door handle goes IN FRONT of the window tracks.
19. Reattach the widow/door lock controller to the wires. YES BEFORE YOU REINSTALL THE PANEL.
20. OP-Check the window and door lock with power applied to the car.
21. (Opitional) If the window need tightening or grease applied to the track, this is a good time to do it.
22. Re-install door panel and make sure to attach the wire from the actuator to the door handle. Be very gentle because it appears made with cheap plastic.

Hope this helps. DIY saved me $175 of labor over what the dealer quoted and it seems like these have been going out like crazy.

Disclaimer: As always, I'm not responsible if you goon it up or if yours is different. A little research shows this should be about the same for almost all 2007+ Chevy/GMC Trucks.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side rear door lock actuator is out on my 2009 Tahoe. I ordered an elcheapo FEXON Door Latch Lock Actuator Motor for 34 bones off amazon. I will install and see how it works when it comes in on or around 1-23-2020. I see some good reviews and a couple of bad reviews, just hard to tell sometimes what actually causes a failure, might be as simple as someone that is a bit inexperienced over-torquing the mounting fasteners? My old Tahoe is just a Beater ride for work but I do need the door locks to work. I keep some gear in the back seat that I need to access from the drivers side and the door needs to lock and unlock with the key fob.

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good the 34 dollar (made in china) part looked good / fit well and seems to be working well so far. Was only about a 30 min job to change out on the drivers side rear door, took longer to get the plastic fastener to clip to the outside door handle rod than anything else. Hard to see inside the door to align it. For a person with large hands anyway..... I attached a pic of the one that came out notice the aftermarket number 931-108 it is identical to the new one I bought except the new one is working "for now"
Interesting that it already had an aftermarket door lock actuator in there that had failed, it was stamped made in Taiwan.
Since it so easy to trade out for the 34 dollar price I could replace it 3 or 4 times before I could buy an OEM part. Good Job China.
Note I did spray the new part and packaging down with Lysol spray before touching it just in case it had been infected with the Wuhan CoronaVirus............ be safe out there people.

IMG_9307.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far so good the 34 dollar (made in china) part looked good / fit well and seems to be working well so far. Was only about a 30 min job to change out on the drivers side rear door, took longer to get the plastic fastener to clip to the outside door handle rod than anything else. Hard to see inside the door to align it. For a person with large hands anyway..... I attached a pic of the one that came out notice the aftermarket number 931-108 it is identical to the new one I bought except the new one is working "for now"
Interesting that it already had an aftermarket door lock actuator in there that had failed, it was stamped made in Taiwan.
Since it so easy to trade out for the 34 dollar price I could replace it 3 or 4 times before I could buy an OEM part. Good Job China.
Note I did spray the new part and packaging down with Lysol spray before touching it just in case it had been infected with the Wuhan CoronaVirus............ be safe out there people.

View attachment 239367

Yeah the door handle rod clip is a pain in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts