Don't always trust your mechanic, fixed my "blown" engine for $7.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure sensor won’t fix the ABS and Stabilitrac lights but might fix the check engine light.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a DOD or AFM problem causing the fouling of the plug. One of my vehicles would simply get oil all over #1 plug and every 6 months it would start to miss-fire, just replaced the plug and all good to go. Then one day it started to misfire, and I had good compression, spark, and fuel, and what had happened was my DOD lifter collapsed. I bought this kit for $50 to relieve the collapsed lifter, broke the DOD so it would not activate and blocked off the oil passage then had my ECM programmed for $50 to remove AFM/DOD and bought new gaskets and did the whole job for around $200.. It was not a bad job to do, and the next time would go quicker...

Just make a note, if you have a fouling plug on 1, 4, 6 or 7, then chances are you have a lifter going bad...

Here is a video on it. and this worked flawlessly for me.

John

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind if you remove the DOD, it can throw the Stabilitrack light for some reason, He covers that in the video...

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 30K miles ago, with about 95K on the clock, with our 5.3L 2007 Yukon, I noticed a low idle miss. The dealer debug started with the PCV and along the way found it didn't have the valve cover upgrade. They did some more diagnostics and determined I was getting some oiling on a plug primarily due to a piston ring issue.

GM paid for all the parts (new valve cover, 8 pistons, 8 ring sets, etc., etc. etc.) My dealer installed it all very cost effectively for me. Great support from GM. Zero issues since, runs like a top.

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Might be a DOD or AFM problem causing the fouling of the plug. One of my vehicles would simply get oil all over #1 plug and every 6 months it would start to miss-fire, just replaced the plug and all good to go. Then one day it started to misfire, and I had good compression, spark, and fuel, and what had happened was my DOD lifter collapsed. I bought this kit for $50 to relieve the collapsed lifter, broke the DOD so it would not activate and blocked off the oil passage then had my ECM programmed for $50 to remove AFM/DOD and bought new gaskets and did the whole job for around $200.. It was not a bad job to do, and the next time would go quicker...

Just make a note, if you have a fouling plug on 1, 4, 6 or 7, then chances are you have a lifter going bad...

Here is a video on it. and this worked flawlessly for me.

John

Great video, Shadetree for sure but effective. Need to show the GM engineers their fubar brainfart is being disabled with hammers/chisels!! LOL So glad i bought our denali and it does not have afm/dod. I was completely unaware of the system when i bought it and if it werent for pure luck i would be faced with the challenges the dod system inflicts on high mileage engines like mine.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted $2500-$3500 to replace the lifters, the mechanic said it would probably need a new cam too... It was worth a shot and it worked... All I can say.