Dome light question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diodes I used were from Radio Shack, # 276-1653, which is a 25 pack of assorted ones. Any of the diodes in the pack should work just fine for this mod!

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 yukon xl without sunroof or DVD players and would like to get the map lights to turn on when I unlock or open a door. Is there a fuse that can be bridge or someone help me with this please? Something maybe simpler than what was suggested earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

sisson3703

Reaction score
So I finally tackled the project last week and now I have map lights that come on with the rest of the interior lights!! All I did was tap into the wire in the overhead TV screen I have for the back seats that turns those lights on with the interior lights and ran a wire in the headliner, around the sunroof and down through the front overhead console. To do this properly, you will need 2 diodes, one for each map light where this wire connects to, otherwise whenever you push the button for the map light to operate it manually, it will turn on all the interior lights (backfeed). I included a few pics of the install, I have more so if you need more info, hit me up!! If your lights don't turn with the rest of the interior lights like the newer trucks do, this is an easy and very useful mod to do!
For those wanting to do this mod, the diodes I used were Radio Shacks's part # 276-1653 which is a 25 pack of assorted diodes, any of those will work for this mod that's in the pack!

How exactly did you wire in to the front lights I see the diodes and the yellow wire and something at the end of the yellow wire silver thing and I see black tape on certain wire not sure where you wired in the 12 v + output into the light can't tell in the pictures

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, I pulled power from my rear flip down monitor for our entertainment system as it had 12v. If you don't have that, you could pull power from the front of the truck and run it thru the headliner and A pillar

sisson3703

Reaction score
Like I mentioned, I pulled power from my rear flip down monitor for our entertainment system as it had 12v. If you don't have that, you could pull power from the front of the truck and run it thru the headliner and A pillar

I have a aftermarket flip down monitor will that work for this?

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My aftermarket monitor has interior lights on it that turn on when the doors open, so if you have the same I'm pretty sure you will have 12v already up there that are activated with the doors too. Just have to take a meter to it to confirm which wire to tap into!

sisson3703

Reaction score
Ok all done did everything they way you said and all lights work when the doors open but you are right it is quite a bit of work but worth it in the end .

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you and yes totally worth the effort! If you haven't gone LED for your interior lights you need to do that as well! Just remember that you will probably need to go Canbus for any lights that have an individual separate switch (like the map lights do) as they will be dim at times without Canbus.

suburban01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know it's a old topic but do you know exactly which diode you used and any better pics of exactly whats going on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec