Does GM ever push a firmware update to the vehicle electronics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago the GPS and radio display and controls on my 2016 Denali would not come on when I started the truck. It was a blank screen and nothing related to it would work. A while later I started up and everything worked as usual. Then the next day I get a low tire pressure warning with all 4 tires at 30 psi. Now I run my tires at 30 psi because I like a softer ride and with the huge tires I just don't see a need for higher pressures. I never received the warning before and the center display showed all 4 tires and alternately highlighted each tire pressure. My question is could my system have been going through some type of firmware update from GM through the OnStar system which changed the tire pressure monitor parameters and could explain the system behavior.

Dennis

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always push the blue button and see if Onstar knows anything about it.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Don’t believe so. Always have to do a dealer visit for updates. They don’t do over the air

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago the GPS and radio display and controls on my 2016 Denali would not come on when I started the truck. It was a blank screen and nothing related to it would work. A while later I started up and everything worked as usual. Then the next day I get a low tire pressure warning with all 4 tires at 30 psi. Now I run my tires at 30 psi because I like a softer ride and with the huge tires I just don't see a need for higher pressures. I never received the warning before and the center display showed all 4 tires and alternately highlighted each tire pressure. My question is could my system have been going through some type of firmware update from GM through the OnStar system which changed the tire pressure monitor parameters and could explain the system behavior.

Dennis

Begin to suspect that the battery may be causing this. Also, if you start your truck too fast, the modules may not have had time to all start up and sync with each other.

What kind of huge tires do you have, size and type?

OP
OP
DennisT

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Begin to suspect that the battery may be causing this. Also, if you start your truck too fast, the modules may not have had time to all start up and sync with each other.

What kind of huge tires do you have, size and type?
Thanks, I’ll watch for how quickly I hit the start button. Huge may be an exaggeration. I have the standard 285 series. It’s just confusing why the TP monitor is going off now and hasn’t in the previous 40k miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll watch for how quickly I hit the start button. Huge may be an exaggeration. I have the standard 285 series. It’s just confusing why the TP monitor is going off now and hasn’t in the previous 40k miles.

When this new Can Bus system came out, if I started my van without waiting for the lights to go out the cruise control and radio would not work. Well, I shouldn't say I, it was happening to my wife. I'm an old diesel guy, and we turned the key on and waited for the glow plug light to go out and then fired up the engine! I don't know how that can transfer to a button start.

As for the tires and TPMS, the system in my truck, the generation before yours, is programmed for the light to come on for low air if when the tires lose 10 psi of air pressure over the factory spec on the door sticker. Just watch for outside wear on both sides of the tread to make sure you're not running them too low and killing the tire's life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh