Do Z springs lift non Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HELLAbeefy

Reaction score
Z coils definitely lift the rear more to the point i took them out when i took out the front and rear lift level kit. With just the coils it looked like i was just running a rear lift haha.

Hahaha

I can confirm the 1.5" - 2" rear lift with the Z71 springs. I replaced the blown out air ride suspension on my Suburban LTZ with Moog HDs, which I suspect are the equivalent of the Z71 springs. Bilstein 5100s all around allowed for the front ride height to be adjusted to match the increase in the rear height.
ATTACH=full]257580[/ATTACH]

That's alot of lift on just springs, I dig it!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting the z71 avalanche springs I had in my Tahoe as I was pulling the nivomat shocks off and read many places that it would ride terrible with the stock springs and non nivomat shocks. after putting them in it definitely sat tall in the rear ( more than the average rake they have) I cranked the front bars a little and now it looks more like stock rake just taller overall.. but the whole truck does sit a little taller than normal, although it still rides and drives well.

bobsburban

Reaction score
Hahaha That's alot of lift on just springs, I dig it!

I was surprised as well. I was only expecting about an inch from talking with an engineer at Moog when I was confirming spring rates before ordering them. I ordered the stiffest they made - 1350 lbs - as I bought the truck to tow a travel trailer.

Under_construct

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was surprised as well. I was only expecting about an inch from talking with an engineer at Moog when I was confirming spring rates before ordering them. I ordered the stiffest they made - 1350 lbs - as I bought the truck to tow a travel trailer.
Headin to the shop now to do this as we speak springs were at my door this morning all and all did it work well for you? I kinda have to overload a bit and drive about 2k miles lmfao (i know its an old post hoping to see something if not understandable)

bobsburban

Reaction score
...all and all did it work well for you? I kinda have to overload a bit and drive about 2k miles lmfao (i know its an old post hoping to see something if not understandable)

I'm very happy with this solution. Not a fan of the air ride suspension that came on the truck - shocks or air bags and stuff going out every 75k doesn't appeal to me. The simpler, the better, IMO. But yes, the ride was a great improvement even if I was comparing it to a blown air ride suspension. The wife noticed it immediately, too. While I'm still adjusting the height of my weight distribution hitch for the trailer, the rig is quite stable and tows very, very well. We don't make a practice of traveling on interstates (we learned the charms of two-lane roads while camping out of a Miata) but when we do end up on one, 18-wheelers passing us are no bother and we get very little "porpuosing" going over undulations. Things might be different without the WDH (which also has integral sway control), but I'm very happy with both daily and pulling use.

Under_construct

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm very happy with this solution. Not a fan of the air ride suspension that came on the truck - shocks or air bags and stuff going out every 75k doesn't appeal to me. The simpler, the better, IMO. But yes, the ride was a great improvement even if I was comparing it to a blown air ride suspension. The wife noticed it immediately, too. While I'm still adjusting the height of my weight distribution hitch for the trailer, the rig is quite stable and tows very, very well. We don't make a practice of traveling on interstates (we learned the charms of two-lane roads while camping out of a Miata) but when we do end up on one, 18-wheelers passing us are no bother and we get very little "porpuosing" going over undulations. Things might be different without the WDH (which also has integral sway control), but I'm very happy with both daily and pulling use.
That air ride and auto leveling is nothing but b.s. imo never have been a fan of that unfortunately iv always worked the crap out of my rigs amazing what they will do when maintained. I will say these z springs were a huge improvment just waiting on a few more things to get here and should be ready to pull from phoenix to northern wi. Thanks for the replys guys greatly appericiated

captain

Reaction score
Interesting. Battling auto air leveling system with a WDH setup. Almost ready to pull the fuse from this damn thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy