Do the cooling fans have a turn off at speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not at all how this works
If you'd like to discuss it then go ahead with more than "no". You would still blowing air that's coming off the hot coolant and then being heated before you force more into your engine bay, when its not being cooled by the air while you are moving. The fans are there to help suck air through the radiator to cool off the coolant, they are not there to cool off the engine bay, especially when they are only being fed by hot air radiating off the radiator. It sounds like you want a proactive approach, but that's going to make it worse. Why is that not right?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original pcm has a weird flaw and once it was tuned my cooling fans ran constantly regardless of temp. As admirable as your project to buck factory programming, I can tell you first hand my truck ran like crap because it couldn't maintain proper temp, ran cold. It can also cause problems with your ac cooling properly and freezing over. I was overheating relays like crazy and eventually melted the harness. I don't see any positives in your project and it's ironic us 00-02 NBS guys are doing everything to get the kind of fan control you are trying to circumvent.

But yes it is possible, but it's got to do with OS or you to wire in a toggle switch to trip the relays when you want the fans on. I don't think u need all three triggered side that would send both fans on high. Based on what I've seen with the relays 1 relay receives the coolant temp sensor and triggers itself and the 2nd relay for both fans on low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
One last question:

The original plan for how I'd wire this was a strip tap - small piece of metal that fits around the blade of the relay

These have a bit thinner blades than I was expecting, so the original idea won't work. Not going to cut, tap, or otherwise mutilate factory wiring

I'm envisioning something like a small ring terminal with spring tabs on the inside to allow it to contact the relay blades. Can't seem to find anything like that.

Other ideas?

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relay taps: Use some thin brass strips cut to fit. Works like a charm

Took a closer look at the wiring.. Only need one diode

Did a bunch of probing to verify everything: The triggers for fan relay 1 and 2 ground through pin 86. Fan relay 3 grounds through pin 85.

Need to figure out where I want to mount my switch. Don't want to cut holes anywhere

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Relay taps: Use some thin brass strips cut to fit. Works like a charm

Took a closer look at the wiring.. Only need one diode

Did a bunch of probing to verify everything: The triggers for fan relay 1 and 2 ground through pin 86. Fan relay 3 grounds through pin 85.

Need to figure out where I want to mount my switch. Don't want to cut holes anywhere
Iirc there's already a hole above your left leg, right next to the parking brake release. I put a switch there for leds. I don't like drilling holes either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a spot. Need to make a trim piece to go on the right of it. Kydex maybe?

43130971_474351103070098_5283749684723056640_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts