Do I Even Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serg - Realize this is old but if you haven't resolved - I have 4 of the same style wheel dollies you have. I modified a pair for my rears on my 53. Since mine tuck in the fenders so bad in a static stance I had to get creative. Add to it a 330mm tire and maintenance/tire changes are not too enjoyable.

I widened the cradle legs by 5" with steel stock from metalsupermarkets.com I used them because they were local and they cut everything in house if you need them to. All I had to do is cut off the existing legs, clean up the metal, weld on the new and add the end casters back on the extended legs.

If you don't weld, you can find a local fabricator that can make these changes to those dollies quite easily.

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Really having a hard time understanding why this is so difficult for you? Not trying to be insulting, so please don't take it that way. I worked in a walmart tire shop for 6 months and never had much trouble, even with big 22's and large mud tires on trucks. I did have trouble with the foreign car that had wheel studs instead of lug nuts but, that's a totally different issue.

The only possible problem I can come up with, is that you don't have the vehicle jacked up high enough. If it's not jacked up high enough the tire will hit the ground when tilted before making contact with the studs/hub. You should be able to pick the tire up, let the top tilt in (bottom out) and slide the wheel on the top stud. With the wheel hanging on the top stud you should be able to align the wheel to the other studs by turning the wheel. It might be helpful to put on the parking brake to keep the hub from turning.

If you are confident that the vehicle is supported well and isn't going to fall on you, you can use your legs to lift the tire instead of your arms. Essentially your legs would be like the rollers on the dollies shown above and you can use your legs to lift by bending at the knees while sitting on your butt.

I love, love, love your Vette btw. I live just outside of Bowling Green, KY where they are made and I get the pleasure of seeing them on a daily basis. I still have a mountain of student loan debt to pay off for now but, I will own one some day.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have a lot of 375 series tires on vettes come in to the Walmart for service, do they? :D

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
They have a lot of 375 series tires on vettes come in to the Walmart for service, do they? :D

Not many (if any) with tires that wide but, we did have a few Vettes come in. With the store being in the city where they are made and hold all the events that they have, we did get a few come in for flat repairs. We didn't keep stock of any tires that would fit on a vette so, we never put any new tires on. Even if we did....you would have to be a bit crazy to trust walmart with a Vette. All though, we did have a few regular customers that would come in with BMWs, Mercedes and Land Rovers (mostly oil changes though).

The son of one of the guys that worked there at the time had a vette and had us mount and install a set of wheels and tires he bought online. I can't say if they were a 375 series or not because it's been so long ago but, they were considerably bigger than the stock wheel/tire combo we took off.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if a creeper seat would work? just take off the seat and put the tire on the base?

image_21616.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably depends on the weight limits of the creeper but not a bad idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442