1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY: Make 2015-2017 LS/LT headlights operate like a LTZ headlight (LED as DRL vice low beams)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Tylus, May 3, 2019.

1. Tylus

Tylus Full Access Member

Name:
    Jeremiah
    only thing I can think of would be to unplug the associated wire to the DRL

they don't serve any function with regard to night-time driving and turn signals.

worst case would be they trigger a burnt out bulb indication. Page 1 of this thread has the drawing that shows what wire to disconnect. easy to reconnect if needed. just make sure to wrap the wire (seal) with electrical tape to prevent a short

2. Kyle Goodman

Kyle Goodman TYF Newbie

Name:
    kgoodman34

Hey Cmatt! I sincerely apologize if I'm bugging you!! I know you're probably swamped with other stuff so not trying to add to your stress by any means lol. Sent you an email and a PM on here, but whenever you do get the chance I would love to purchase the harnesses for the fog lights, LED DRL strip and the DL3 Mirror harnesses. Just let me know whenever you are available. Thank you so much!!!!!

Kyle

Dcmaynor likes this.
  3. cmatt

cmatt Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Not bugging at all. I’ll respond to your email. My day job has kept me very busy. I’m on the Gulf coast and the last few days we’ve been getting ready for hurricane Sally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Goodman likes this.
  4. cmatt

cmatt Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Just an update on the newest version of the DRL harness. I’ve got it out to a member for installation and testing. As soon as things are verified, it will be available. I do have an early version that’s been installed and working in a customers 2015 Suburban without issue for 6 months. So this version should perform as expected.

I do want to set expectations with regards to pricing. I typically discuss it via email directly with the customer. It will be in line with a competitor’s solution. However, this version won’t make you compromise with the headlight functionality and, frankly, is of superior build quality. The parts cost is higher and a large amount of labor is required to build. Countless hours have been spent researching, sourcing parts and building prototypes.

The original DRL pigtails will still be offered at their same price.

I will reiterate about the LED strip brightness on 2015-2017 factory headlight assemblies. Their brightness cannot be changed. GM has them built this way.

Dcmaynor likes this.
  5. Dcmaynor

Dcmaynor Full Access Member

Name:
    Dana
    Is your latest version better than what I have?

6. cmatt

cmatt Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    You have the DRL pigtails, correct? It’s been a while and I can’t quite remember. If so, then I would say it is better because it gives LTZ headlight functionality.

7. Dcmaynor

Dcmaynor Full Access Member

Name:
    Dana
    I think so. It does appear like I have the strip as DDL, but not as bright as the real deal.

8. bradac

bradac TYF Newbie

Name:
    brad
    6495C965-3B4F-4E74-98F1-60A270D7C605.jpeg Hey Guys,

so I installed CMatt's latest harness and I'm happy to report it has all functions as described.

Supports:

LED stripe on remote start
    Parking Lights
    Automatic on when vehicle is in drive

I took it a step further about a year ago by installing the standard 2018 headlights that have the brighter LED light bar, and I have full LED brightness. I'm going to unload a video later to show the results.

great work Matt. This is a photo of my car in drive. It was super sunny so it's harder to see but it's working great

AAD62FA3-69F9-4521-BC50-6EAC24211A61.jpeg

cmatt and Dcmaynor like this.
  9. NappyBoy

NappyBoy Member

Name:
    Mohammed
    I emailed matt a while ago still havent got any replay

10. cmatt

cmatt Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Thanks Bradley! I appreciate you helping me test this harness with the 2018+ headlights.