distance on full tank vs gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im curious what everyone elses stopping point is. im less interested on how far everyone gets but how far do you go before filling back up. i usually try to keep it 1/4 and above but ive been curious about it. the gauges on most tahoes of this year float alot at the 1/4 mark but we still actually have atleast around 10 gallons of fuel left. so what is you usual "i need to fill up" point before you actually concerned about finding a gas station. im usually hitting 300 miles at 1/4 if the discussion goes that route.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When not testing different fuels and such, like you, I like to fill up around a quarter tank or top it off during the week when prices are generally lower.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
I stop for gas when hitting the brakes makes the engine cough. LOL I try to keep it above 1/4 tank but I'm not always paying that close of attention. Short drives=short term memory issues

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to wait until looking at the gage gives me a mild panick attack then i find the nearest safeway and put a crisp sawbuck on it

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The closer we get to Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base near San Clemente, CA, gas prices rise 20-30¢ a gal. It’s almost another 20 miles down the Inst 5 on the coast until you can pull off the hwy and reach non government land. San Diego County begins at this point.

If we drive North on Inst 5 we leave Orange County (OC), and hit Los Angeles county in about 40 miles. Only in some of the oldest, hardest to reach parts of OC are fuel prices reasonable. Obviously fuel prices next door to our oil refineries in LA are the lowest but with some of the worlds worst traffic, it’s out of reach.

Our Hail Mary for the premium fuel requirements of our DenXL 6.2 AWD is Costco fuel. Locally they’re 10¢ cheaper and their VISA card gives another 4¢ cash back. All our errands are planned around when the Denali is low on fuel. Last month prices spiked in Cali and Costco’s near LA county were 30¢ a gal less than OC. Tag the 4¢ gal Costco rebate on and that’s a 30 gal saving of at least a Hamilton.

If there’s even more savings I’ll bring a few 5 gal cans. We keep our vehicles a long time and never run them on lower recommend octane fuel. It’s a crazy strategy, but it’s more about stickin it to the man than the $3-3.5H a year it saves ... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya ive always tried to keep my tanks above 1/4 as much as possible but ive never had a vehicle thats had that much left while it sat around 1/4. kinda made me wonder when i had my gm buddy run my vin to make sure i didnt have a smaller tank than what i thought. having a family mover we take on trips when i have to bring a bunch of stuff and stopping around 200-250miles to fill up is kind of annoying. with all the stuff i put on the truck im breaking 300 miles while still in a comfort zone. in at 325 now just under 1/4 and blackbear tells me even with the 87/89 octane tune ill get even better mpg. so thats probably next.

Matt81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so im curious what everyone elses stopping point is. im less interested on how far everyone gets but how far do you go before filling back up. i usually try to keep it 1/4 and above but ive been curious about it. the gauges on most tahoes of this year float alot at the 1/4 mark but we still actually have atleast around 10 gallons of fuel left. so what is you usual "i need to fill up" point before you actually concerned about finding a gas station. im usually hitting 300 miles at 1/4 if the discussion goes that route.
I normally go to 1/4 of a tank. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’ve been told it’s easier on the fuel pump.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that was the basis of my curiosity. most vehicles dont have alot of fuel left after the 1/4 mark. so once your past 1/4 tank heavy acceleration stopping or an incline can pull the fuel away from the pump. most vehicles dont have 10+gallons of fuel left at that point however. so thats what brought my thoughts about.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 Tahoe has about 8.7 gallons at 1/4 Tank and the Suburban has about 11 gallons at 1/4 Tank. The idiot light comes on at 4.3 gallons and 3.8 gallons respectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu