Display goes black when start button is pushed - no sign of a start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could have one of the cells dying in the battery and not showing up on the test. Batteries that have an issue can do strange things to the electrical system. We have seen a lot of different issues described on this forum. Doubeleive eluded to a possible battery issue.
Thanks all. The problem was that I thought the car would act like everyone I ever owned, in that when the battery is low the accessories and lights show that. Also getting the battery fully charged with my charger didn't work. Anyway, I took the battery out again and brought it to another place, it checked out good again. So I reinstalled it and this time I got my cables and jumped the car. I started right up. The dash showed 14V+. Since, everything seems fine.

I believe the problem stemmed from the typical intermittent faulty engine temperature sensor, that caused the fan to run, thus knocking down the battery. I replaced the temp sensor the day before the battery problem. So..Lessons:

1) if your temp sensor is intermittent and the fan runs, don't delay in getting it fixed. "Safe" mode knocks down the battery as the cooling fan runs even after the car is shut off.
2) The 2015 Yukon Denali does not act like older cars when the battery is low. Perhaps the computer's voltage sensing shuts down the car when too low. Don't rely on accessories working or light brightness as in older cars, even with dim lights, the car might crank a little. Not this one. Bright lights and dash, no crank, not even a click.
3) Jump instead of using a charger. Let the car charge itself.

Time will tell if there is a hidden battery problem.

I am still a bit confused as to why my charger said full charge and it read 12.4 volts but I could only start with a jump.

Thanks all.