Display goes black when start button is pushed - no sign of a start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon Denali won't start. All accessories are strong, battery is fully charged. When I press the start button the dash goes silently dark. No clicks, nothing. It is as if I shut it off instead of starting it. One day ago (coincidently?) I had the temperature sensor replaced for that other fan problem.

I just had the battery tested. It is good which makes sense. But I was hoping a new battery would solve the problem.

I tried searching for this topic but found nothing using obvious keywords.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Searching on this forum sucks. As soon as you post your thread, it gives you similar posts. But a guy with nearly the same problem got no real answer. Anyway, help please.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are several versions of the Search tool on the forum. If you haven't tried it, this one is the most comprehensive and has the most variables to select:

Capture.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon Denali won't start. All accessories are strong, battery is fully charged. When I press the start button the dash goes silently dark. No clicks, nothing. It is as if I shut it off instead of starting it. One day ago (coincidently?) I had the temperature sensor replaced for that other fan problem.

I just had the battery tested. It is good which makes sense. But I was hoping a new battery would solve the problem.

I tried searching for this topic but found nothing using obvious keywords.

Any thoughts?
does it do anything else? if you push the push to start and do not press on the brake pedal do the accessories come on? tried remote start?
have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
does it do anything else? if you push the push to start and do not press on the brake pedal do the accessories come on? tried remote start?
have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
I tried all of that. It took several tries to get the accessory mode to come on. At one point I was able to get the guages to come on ( I don't remember if the gages come on in accessory mode), in other words the rpm and speeddometer did their test spin. I took the battery to get it checked and it tested good. Reinstalled and the car did the same thing.

NOW!!! I tried unlocking the car this morning, it seems like no power. I am locked out of the car. With remote unlock, I have to search how to get into the car.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried all of that. It took several tries to get the accessory mode to come on. At one point I was able to get the guages to come on ( I don't remember if the gages come on in accessory mode), in other words the rpm and speeddometer did their test spin. I took the battery to get it checked and it tested good. Reinstalled and the car did the same thing.

NOW!!! I tried unlocking the car this morning, it seems like no power. I am locked out of the car. With remote unlock, I have to search how to get into the car.
doesn't it have the key in the fob that comes out when a release button is pressed? I have had batteries do strange things, if it is not the battery then it might be the battery cables

OP
OP
T

The guitar zombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
doesn't it have the key in the fob that comes out when a release button is pressed? I have had batteries do strange things, if it is not the battery then it might be the battery cables
Yes I forgot about that. This battery failure happened shortly after my fan kept staying on and at one point the dash said something like battery low. I had the temp sensor replaced and this happened the nect dsy (accessories work, wouldn't start). As you recall battery checked out fine. Cables are good but I am wondering if the battery test was poorly done. So, I am going to try to jump the car and maybe have the battery checked again (taking out the battery is a pain). Thanks and I'll post what I find out today. I have no idea where to stick that key fob key, but I know where my wife wants me to stick it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I forgot about that. This battery failure happened shortly after my fan kept staying on and at one point the dash said something like battery low. I had the temp sensor replaced and this happened the nect dsy (accessories work, wouldn't start). As you recall battery checked out fine. Cables are good but I am wondering if the battery test was poorly done. So, I am going to try to jump the car and maybe have the battery checked again (taking out the battery is a pain). Thanks and I'll post what I find out today. I have no idea where to stick that key fob key, but I know where my wife wants me to stick it.
take a close look at your drivers door handle there may be a plastic cover over the keyhole so it appears that there is no keyhole. it should pop off revealing the key slot I don't have one like that but many of the push to start vehicles have the same thing of various designs

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have one of the cells dying in the battery and not showing up on the test. Batteries that have an issue can do strange things to the electrical system. We have seen a lot of different issues described on this forum. Doubeleive eluded to a possible battery issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011