Discovered A new way to cancel Cruise Control.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not as likely. The window motors are under much less strain going down because they're not having to push up on the glass against gravity. Yes, the regulator has a spring so the motor isn't moving all the window's weight, but it's not a perfect balance.

I mean,
if the window is all the way up and you are pushing the buttons, verses all the way down and pushing the buttons,
the motor draws the same amount of current either way.

Once all movement is haulted the motor is at its maximum load, and the current draw would be the same regardless if the motor is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise.

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately It is rather cold where I am... I think the high of 32°F today, so I might not try it with the windows down until I get a little break from the temporary tundra.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean,
if the window is all the way up and you are pushing the buttons, verses all the way down and pushing the buttons,
the motor draws the same amount of current either way.

Once all movement is haulted the motor is at its maximum load, and the current draw would be the same regardless if the motor is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise.

Ah. I see what you're saying. Hmmm. I don't know if there's anything to tell the controller that the window is all the way down so it won't apply voltage to the motor if the down switch was pushed. You can clearly hear the motors engage and see the voltage drop on the cluster when you try to put the windows up when they're already up. But, I don't believe I've ever heard the same motor "strain" or even engagement when they're already down.

Either way, I'd just ignore it and reset my cruise control or stop pressing both window buttons simultaneously.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tried to make the cruise control cut off with any window combination on my 2012 denali doesn't do it

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out my problem. It was the Battery...

About a month ago, my Battery mysteriously went dead when my son and my wife were sitting in the car while I was in the store. They only had the radio going and it was not for a long period of time either, 10 to 15 min at most.

Fast forward to yesterday, and when starting I could tell the battery was getting tired, it did not crank right, and same thing this morning.

Went to Interstate Battery and they checked the voltage on the battery and it just fell off. Replaced the battery and the issue has gone away.

This would make sense. At night the car was running mostly on the Alternator, and during the day it would use less Alternator, so the voltage would drop, kicking off the Cruise.

I am just glad it was not a BCM or something more serious.

Thanks for all your replies and checking your cars, wanted to make sure it was just not a design thing. Now you all know!

John

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's wild the weird stuff that happens when a battery starts going bad. How old was it?

Here in Florida, we used to replace them every two years regardless of what they were rated for. Then I bought my brand new 2006 Pontiac and that Delco battery lasted until 2011 and it's non Delco replacements again, never lasted more than two years, Interstate, Walmart, Sears, etc. My truck's Delco battery was is dated from August 2016.

Now we have the computer controlling the charging. My needle is often quite a bit lower than 14 volts, does that mean the battery is fully charged and the alternator need not stay engaged? It doesn't seem to read like the old days, I miss the Ammeters! The truck has zero issues with starting or electrical gremlins.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using odyssey for a long time no problems at all, sometimes you get what you pay for

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They intentionally make Batteries that live a short life. They could make them last for 10 years, but that would be self defeating. A Friend got a "special" battery from another friend who worked for one of the big Battery companies back in the early 80's. His friend told him not to ever let this battery go. He transferred it from car to car until he forgot when he sold the car, The Battery lasted him more than 15 years... My OE Battery in my Tahoe was 8 years old... The second one only lasted 2.5 years...

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2016 we started having "light" issues on the 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. Had two lights out in front so had all of them replaced at one time by the dealership. Total bill was $275. I thought that was a good deal and we will be expecting another eight or nine years out of the new lights. Only had two batteries in the beast, the original and one replacement. I keep the cables clean on the batteries and give the battery a full charge with the charger every three or four months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts