Differential gear change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I’d start with a tune from BlackBear to improve power and shifting to see if that works. Tune out AFM at the same time. Plus it makes it way more fun to drive all the times you’re not towing the boat.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I did end up changing the gears from the 3.08 to 3.42. I am only 500 miles into the new gears, so I have not had a chance to tow with them yet. Overall the truck drives a lot better. It accelerates a little quicker, but the biggest difference is that it does not down shift as much. With the 3.08 gears driving at 70-75 it keep dropping to 5th gear every time I went up a small hill. Now with the 3.42 gears it will stay in 6th. Overall I am happy with the upgrade.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I did end up changing the gears from the 3.08 to 3.42. I am only 500 miles into the new gears, so I have not had a chance to tow with them yet. Overall the truck drives a lot better. It accelerates a little quicker, but the biggest difference is that it does not down shift as much. With the 3.08 gears driving at 70-75 it keep dropping to 5th gear every time I went up a small hill. Now with the 3.42 gears it will stay in 6th. Overall I am happy with the upgrade.

Good to hear. Mine only unlocks the converter on only the steepest of grades/overpasses which you'll soon experience as well. It never downshifts to 5th save for when towing.

Do you know what brand of ring and pinion gears the shop used; assuming you farmed it out and didn't do it yourself.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a local guy do the work for me , but I bout the parts. The ring & pinnion was AAM.

Good to hear. Mine only unlocks the converter on only the steepest of grades/overpasses which you'll soon experience as well. It never downshifts to 5th save for when towing.

Do you know what brand of ring and pinion gears the shop used; assuming you farmed it out and didn't do it yourself.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a local guy do the work for me , but I bout the parts. The ring & pinnion was AAM.

Thanks! If you don't mind, keep me posted on your fuel economy at 65 and 70 mph specifically and generally for around town.

Oh, and if you pulled the boat before the swap, give us your thoughts on how she did with both gear sets.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm curious how much your speedometer is off now... or did you reprogram to compensate for the change???

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What did that run you ? And what it the front diff as well ?

OP
OP
J

Jeremy05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It ended up being about $600 / axle for parts and labor. The front would cost a little more if you go from 3.08 because you have to change the carrier. I ended up finding a low mile carrier assy and just swapping the entire assy in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu