Different tires with AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncampion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 08 Denail with AWD. I understand the importance of having the same tires on all wheels but after about 10,000 miles on a new set of Nitto Terra Grappler 275/55r20, I destroyed one front tire on a piece of metal in the road. I replaced both front tires but am wondering if the wear on the rears is enough to make the tire circumference different and damage the transfer case. I hate to throw away two more good tires.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Measure the tread depth and compare. I'd probably buy the other two new tires and hold back the old ones for the next casualty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Denail with AWD. I understand the importance of having the same tires on all wheels but after about 10,000 miles on a new set of Nitto Terra Grappler 275/55r20, I destroyed one front tire on a piece of metal in the road. I replaced both front tires but am wondering if the wear on the rears is enough to make the tire circumference different and damage the transfer case. I hate to throw away two more good tires.
I believe the spec is that they should all be within 1/32" of each other, I have had to replace 1 tire before and was lucky to find a used one that matched my other 3

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can order new tires, and have them shaved down to the actual tread depth remaining on the tires tires still on the truck. That is probably not a solution for you at this time, since you have already purchased replacement tires.

Reaction score
How worn are your tires with 10k miles on them?

I'm sure the transfer case allows for some difference, otherwise you'd never be able to run with the spare installed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1649804520110.png

For @Doubeleive Wes:

1649804581153.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes is safe, he rolls with his tires 6psi over the sticker at all times
I was running them at 40 but I haven't been keeping up on it, stopped having to make the out of town trips so haven't really been speeding much even on my recent trip to LA I don't think I went over 90-95, this extra 50.00 a tank of gas kinda has the brake on