Different DOD/AFM delete/disable questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda repeating what @wsteele said:

Improvements were made 2010-2011 and up that drastically improved the reliability of the system.

Keeping impeccably clean oil in the engine is paramount in avoiding issues with the system.

I'd still disable it to at least "kick the can down the road". You can send your PCM to a guy that disables it for $50. I wouldn't use the plug-in type disabler since there may be times you need that ALDL ("OBD") port open for diagnostics or for vehicle inspection. For those times, you'd have to unplug it, enabling the AFM system that has sat dormant for who-knows-how-long. You'd also have to wait for all the readiness monitors to set after unplugging it, which requires considerable drive time.

From my experience, AFM in the GMT900s doesn't improve the fuel economy enough to risk keeping it. If the vast majority of your travels were on flat land with no head wind, no traffic and at speeds not exceeding 60MPH, THEN, it may eventually benefit you if it never has a failure. I deleted mine with a performance cam and some other mods. I have a lot more power (gained a full second in the 1/4 mile) and get better mileage now than I did with AFM. The engine was in top shape inside and out so it's not that it had something wrong with it prior to deleting it.
i was seeing good mpg in the hybrid but it has AFM extreme edition.(can accelerate in v4 mode) the RPM is significantly lower the the standard tahoes 1,000-1050 rpm at 40-45mph

1850rpm at 85mph v4 works all the way to 2300 rpm or so.. it's hard to check any higher because i don't want to get a ticket for going 100MPH just to test it

i was able to get 23mpg in my city 27 on the highway...(highest ever was 32MPG on teh highway)

GM lied to everyone it can accelerate in V4 that would be cool to FORCE v4 all the time, my mpg would be as good as a toyota corolla....

using range disabler i have been gettinga bout 20 to 21.5mpg(in my city ) not too bad for a 6.0L v8 engine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st