Didn't expect a wheel to do that.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, I actually have two of them. My current spare is the same thing also. ( the one on the truck is permanent for now, as it holds the matching tire.)
The two different wheel/tire combos.

View attachment 270811 View attachment 270812
I wonder if the aluminum spare came stock on some models, and if so--which ones they came stock on? And how they decided who got aluminum and who got steel. I'd much prefer aluminum then steel. I just got a steel spare from a 2010 Tahoe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigdog9191999

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the aluminum spare came stock on some models, and if so--which ones they came stock on? And how they decided who got aluminum and who got steel. I'd much prefer aluminum then steel. I just got a steel spare from a 2010 Tahoe.

They have gm stamped on them so they are for sure gm wheels. From what I don't know. A buddy had found both of these in ditches at one point or another. Obvious spares that had rusted out from under vehicles

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure my Denali wheel was aluminum, I know it was ugly. Not sure if I still have it, I’ll look in the shed.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
So yesterday morning wife and I were on our way and something didn't feel right. So as I slowed down I had that tell tale wobble of a flat, ( mind you I just plugged the hole from a 6" long screwdriver on the right rear about a week ago) as I slow down I hear massive air release. I hop out and was very surprised at what I see. I haven't hit any big holes or other things that explains the why. Other than when I got the truck it was wrecked and one wheel was broken, I got a replacement that matched from a local yard, and this happened to be that wheel. ( A couple years ago). Thinking age/salt and a crack till it just failed.

I had the spare out as I had been hauling some stuff to the dump ( had to cut the spare out so I could fix the truck from the accident damage, and just keep the spare in the back) I had put it back in in case the plugs didn't hold from the other tire. It was low but got me a block to another mechanic I know so I could fill it and continue the day.

I grabbed a spare wheel I had with a bad tire and swapped the tire.... Again and got it back up and normal. So I may have an odd wheel, but at least I still have matching tires. ( Snow tires, being in Michigan) just happens also my spare is on the same wheel.

So if you stuck around this long here are some pics for viewing pleasure.

Ok not loading. So going to make the post, and try to add them a different way

View attachment 270746 View attachment 270747 View attachment 270748 View attachment 270749

Methinks you might have a wee small problem with your wheel there. ;)

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in S.W. Indiana, we usually freeze and thaw a lot and get a good pot hole crop each year. I've seen alloy wheels do that many times over the years. It's one reason I like steel wheels. Most of the ones I've seen that crack like that failed immediately but sometimes failed quite a while later. It's usually a pot hole in concrete with a reasonably straight edge to it. If it's full of water, you don't realize how deep it is. Yours probably got a crack and the previous owner put it aside after noticing the crack. It worked back and forth for a bit then cracked all the way.

OP
OP
bigdog9191999

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in S.W. Indiana, we usually freeze and thaw a lot and get a good pot hole crop each year. I've seen alloy wheels do that many times over the years. It's one reason I like steel wheels. Most of the ones I've seen that crack like that failed immediately but sometimes failed quite a while later. It's usually a pot hole in concrete with a reasonably straight edge to it. If it's full of water, you don't realize how deep it is. Yours probably got a crack and the previous owner put it aside after noticing the crack. It worked back and forth for a bit then cracked all the way.

this wheel came off a vehicle in a junk yard, I have driven on it all last season ( on my avalanche) and since about October this year. I had to replace the wheel that was on the truck as it was broken from the accident that folded the rear quarter. being In sw Michigan I firmly believe we have as many holes as we do smooth pavement.

guessing it had a crack and just took some time ( and salt baths) to get it to the point it let go. I can remember hitting a few hidden holes with the avalanche but not too much with them on the Tahoe ( other than our roads that make most dirt roads seem smooth)

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I seen this once and what cause one I seen was curb where you park at angle so tire bumped sharp curb front right ..driver don't nice till tires flat . And it fracture aluminum.. after drove a while looks just like pictures .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk