Didn't expect a wheel to do that.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday morning wife and I were on our way and something didn't feel right. So as I slowed down I had that tell tale wobble of a flat, ( mind you I just plugged the hole from a 6" long screwdriver on the right rear about a week ago) as I slow down I hear massive air release. I hop out and was very surprised at what I see. I haven't hit any big holes or other things that explains the why. Other than when I got the truck it was wrecked and one wheel was broken, I got a replacement that matched from a local yard, and this happened to be that wheel. ( A couple years ago). Thinking age/salt and a crack till it just failed.

I had the spare out as I had been hauling some stuff to the dump ( had to cut the spare out so I could fix the truck from the accident damage, and just keep the spare in the back) I had put it back in in case the plugs didn't hold from the other tire. It was low but got me a block to another mechanic I know so I could fill it and continue the day.

I grabbed a spare wheel I had with a bad tire and swapped the tire.... Again and got it back up and normal. So I may have an odd wheel, but at least I still have matching tires. ( Snow tires, being in Michigan) just happens also my spare is on the same wheel.

So if you stuck around this long here are some pics for viewing pleasure.

Ok not loading. So going to make the post, and try to add them a different way

IMG_20210212_084046352_HDR.jpg IMG_20210212_085944617.jpg IMG_20210212_160802988.jpg IMG_20210212_161908952_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yesterday morning wife and I were on our way and something didn't feel right. So as I slowed down I had that tell tale wobble of a flat, ( mind you I just plugged the hole from a 6" long screwdriver on the right rear about a week ago) as I slow down I hear massive air release. I hop out and was very surprised at what I see. I haven't hit any big holes or other things that explains the why. Other than when I got the truck it was wrecked and one wheel was broken, I got a replacement that matched from a local yard, and this happened to be that wheel. ( A couple years ago). Thinking age/salt and a crack till it just failed.

I had the spare out as I had been hauling some stuff to the dump ( had to cut the spare out so I could fix the truck from the accident damage, and just keep the spare in the back) I had put it back in in case the plugs didn't hold from the other tire. It was low but got me a block to another mechanic I know so I could fill it and continue the day.

I grabbed a spare wheel I had with a bad tire and swapped the tire.... Again and got it back up and normal. So I may have an odd wheel, but at least I still have matching tires. ( Snow tires, being in Michigan) just happens also my spare is on the same wheel.

So if you stuck around this long here are some pics for viewing pleasure.

Ok not loading. So going to make the post, and try to add them a different way

View attachment 270746 View attachment 270747 View attachment 270748 View attachment 270749
Wow! That’s not normal at all!

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
Wow. Yeah I haven’t seen that in an OEM wheel. If seen after markets crack quite often but never a true oem. I wonder if that wheel was an aftermarket remake. I believe it should say on the back side where it was made. GM used to have all wheels made in US or Canada. Not sure about newer models but that wheel is old enough it should still be made in North America. Can you confirm if it shows country of mfg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
bigdog9191999

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to look at the wheel later to see where that one came from.

the other lucky part is that we had just been doing 55 ish and had just turned onto a road and where only doing about 25 when this happened. ( the fact we were going slower is part of what made me notice something wasn't right)

OP
OP
bigdog9191999

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you hit a rock or something just right and it punctured the tire and broke the wheel

tire is fine, it is on the odd wheel in the last pic. I am not gonna say that something had not been hit at some point but definitely not recently. and for sure not that day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe