Did a 6.0 swap in your 1/2T....what cam did you use in the 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Silverado and the Tahoe i put the 99-02 covers on that have the real pcv. Oil consumption on the Silverado has been gone for 4years and the Tahoe never started burning oil. I may also include a can in the future, but see no need at the moment.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which heads cracked on you? 862's?
Came with 706's. I got remanufactured 706's and one was a Castech they sent me. It cracked in less than 500 miles. Then they sent me an 862 replacement. So I have both now, but neither are Castech. Everything I read say the 706's flow better due to the casting method, but these won't stay on long. I want to do a 6.0 or 6.2 eventually.

Sorry for the hijack, Matt.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries mattbta. My '04 original had an 862 head crack.

I did a bit more research on the valve cover revisions. There are 4 versions of the driver's side valve cover. 1) removable PCV valve, 2) fixed PCV orifice with 3 round breather holes, 3) fixed PCV orifice with 1 round breather hole, 4) fixed PCV orifice with square breather hole with wings. The 3 breather hole valve cover can be seen in this thread, and I think it was what GM used before the single round hole.

I recently saw a valve cover with the updated part # 12570427 but it was not the most updated valve cover. So be careful buying just off the part # alone. 12570427 should be the square hole breather with wings but there apparently were using that # at some point on the single round hole breather.
This was spotted at a local Pick A Part on an 05 Suburban. The clean valve cover, part # 12570696 was sitting in the back of the Sub, so I assumed it had been replaced with the revised valve cover. I pulled the driver's side valve cover off the engine and what I found was functionally the same exact valve cover, single hole & fixed orifice. But the two covers have two different part #'s on them. See pic.

Attachments

• vcover1.JPG
    vcover1.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 5
  • vcover.JPG
    vcover.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9