Diagnosing auto ride issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I did a few searches regarding the auto ride suspension and most of the threads point towards replacement or deletion options.

I have a 2014 Yukon Denali. I recently bought a travel trailer that's within the limits for towing, but I was unhappy with the amount of squat in the back and how much sway I've been experiencing. I am running a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.

This lead me to discover that my auto ride suspension isn't working. When I jump the relay the compressor doesn't run. I have no warning messages or dummy lights. I can't remember the last time I heard the compressor run - sometime in the winter (it's the wife's daily driver). So I'm wondering if there is a write up somewhere that'll help me run this down and figure out where the problem lies.

Thanks!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I did a few searches regarding the auto ride suspension and most of the threads point towards replacement or deletion options.

I have a 2014 Yukon Denali. I recently bought a travel trailer that's within the limits for towing, but I was unhappy with the amount of squat in the back and how much sway I've been experiencing. I am running a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.

This lead me to discover that my auto ride suspension isn't working. When I jump the relay the compressor doesn't run. I have no warning messages or dummy lights. I can't remember the last time I heard the compressor run - sometime in the winter (it's the wife's daily driver). So I'm wondering if there is a write up somewhere that'll help me run this down and figure out where the problem lies.

Thanks!

If you have power at the relay and jumping it doesn't turn the compressor on then your compressor is most likely shot.

If your compressor is shot then it is a good bet that your shocks probably have leaks/blown air bladders which over worked the compressor and caused it to kick the bucket.

I would jack up the truck and check the bladders on the rear shocks and replace those along with the compressor if needed.

OP
OP
M

marq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have power at the relay and jumping it doesn't turn the compressor on then your compressor is most likely shot.

If your compressor is shot then it is a good bet that your shocks probably have leaks/blown air bladders which over worked the compressor and caused it to kick the bucket.

I would jack up the truck and check the bladders on the rear shocks and replace those along with the compressor if needed.

Thanks, that was my assumption too. I guess what made me curious was that lack of indication of failure. Isn't it supposed to do a 4 second run any time the truck is started to verify it works and holds pressure.. Or to put it another way, what WOULD cause it to throw a light?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks, that was my assumption too. I guess what made me curious was that lack of indication of failure. Isn't it supposed to do a 4 second run any time the truck is started to verify it works and holds pressure.. Or to put it another way, what WOULD cause it to throw a light?

It should perform the start up test... however, this isn't the first time I've heard of issues with this system and no lights showing on the dash.

OP
OP
M

marq96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It should perform the start up test... however, this isn't the first time I've heard of issues with this system and no lights showing on the dash.

Thanks. I'll crawl under it when I have a chance and see what I find.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I’m aware, it’ll only flash the “service suspension system” message across the info center if there’s a failed ride height sensor. But I would be wrong on that. If you don’t hear the compressor at start up, than like he said above^. It’s a well known issue with the air ride setups in these trucks. Replacement compressor are not too expensive and can’t be easily replaced. The replacement air shocks can be pricey, but the arnott replacement shocks are prepped decently and perform pretty well.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray wash the LH behind axle area first at a car wash and let it dry. You need a 1/2 inch deep socket to get the nut in the frame. Youtube is your friend. ;-)

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_3675.jpg Rock auto has the arnott compressor, the whole thing. Thats what you need.

These compressors have about a 5 year life. GM should have enclose them.