Desperately need to find leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhammer52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've unclogged my sunroof drains. I've greased the seal. Now I've taped up the sunroof with flex seal. I've stripped out the carpet and carpet pad to treat for mold. Now we just had a strong rain and I've got a puddle on the passenger side.

The tape on the sunroof is good. The leak appears to be coming from under the dash, right behind the circular part that has the red arrow going to it. Where could this leak be coming from? Is it likely the windshield? I can't think of anywhere else to check.

Also does anyone know of any danger to removing the rubber and foam that is circled in red? The black plastic basically breaks apart with any contact due to age. Can I just remove it all? What purpose does the foam and black plastic serve? What is it called if I wanted to order new?

If I don't figure this out soon I think my wife will be ready to get rid of it.

View attachment 241038 View attachment 241039
Sorry for the late response on this--on my '04, I had an issue like yours and it was in the door pillar under the windshield a-pillars. if you pull off the kick panel trim (where the hood latch is) and it's mate on the passenger side, you'll see a hole where the round metal tab that holds the kick panel in. in that cavity is a piece of foam--apparently over time, the foam adhesive gives up and blocks the path for water to run down under the truck. I basically used a dental pick to pull the foam out, which cleared the path and fixed the leak. I tested out (before/after pulling the foam) by using a hose on the windshield and watching the water bubble out of the hole, then having it go out without issue after removing the foam. I'll snap a pic of the area and post it, if you need a better description of the area I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne