Deodorizer Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Tahoe back in March at the insurance auction and over the last few months have been bringing it up to *****.

When I got it there was a can car deodorizer down in the lower portion of the drivers side door panel. It had spilled its material out. I cleaned that up, however I cannot get the smell out.

I have tried, vinegar solutions, rubbing alcohol, Dawn/Vinegar solutions, charcoal and baking soda. None of those have taken the smell out. The smell isn't bad I just don't want it in my vehicle.

Any other suggestion other than replacing the door panel?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe open the door and let the hot sun shine on it all day or several days. Sounds like you have used several good products. Have you checked Google to see if there is any industrial strength products. Good luck.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Maybe open the door and let the hot sun shine on it all day or several days. Sounds like you have used several good products. Have you checked Google to see if there is any industrial strength products. Good luck.
One of the tricks car dealers use is coffee grounds. Unused grounds. Open up a can and either put the fresh grounds in the door, or leave an opened can in it.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Tony said, coffee grounds just open, then baking soda open container absorbs smells and lastly vinegar poured in a bowl to absorb smell

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought...

Deoderizers are often in the form of an oil. Because water won't touch oil, that's why most of your tricks didn't work very well. The Dawn might not have been strong enough to work. Alcohols can dissolve oils, but may evaporate before you can dissolve enough of the oils to make a difference.

Here are some other possibilities you could think about:
  • Products from https://www.chemicalguys.com might work well.
  • Pour Dawn straight onto a rag and rub the area with pure Dawn. Let it sit for a day, covered up if you can. Then wipe as much as you can with a dry towel, then use a wet towel to clean up in the end. After that, I'd use a quality vinyl protectant (one without silicone).
  • I've often found that wax is very good at removing residues on paint that the car wash won't touch, so this is another option, but you might be left with a wax smell instead.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents, I'll give a couple of these a shot and see if they work. I even tried pure vinegar and that didn't work.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
eBay ... order a $25-$50 ozone generator. Plug in overnight 2-3 nights until offending odor is gone. Don’t stay in truck when it’s on. Ozone not good for u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the door panel with one that hasn’t had deodorant seep into the pores of the plastic. That probably won’t ever come out.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super clean might work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission