Denali diesel conversions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Express Auto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Looking at over 1,500 gallons of used oil every day at work has me thinking that I should be throwing that in a centrifuge and making black diesel fuel. Rather than buy a truck I won't enjoy driving (90's Ford and Dodge trucks are hideous, and they are not GMCs), I thought of converting my 04 Denali to a diesel powerplant. Has anyone been there and done that? I'm looking for tips so I do not have to invent a new wheel, but I will if I have to. So far I found stand alone 4L60E trans controllers so that part won't be hard. I also found Cummins 12v adapter plates for 4L60E, but is as far as I got on research. IDI engines are great motors for waste oil formulas too, but haven't found adapters yet. I appreciate your thoughts on this before I buy a donor truck, etc. Once I decide which engine will work, I will gladly post my progress. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Looking at over 1,500 gallons of used oil every day at work has me thinking that I should be throwing that in a centrifuge and making black diesel fuel. Rather than buy a truck I won't enjoy driving (90's Ford and Dodge trucks are hideous, and they are not GMCs), I thought of converting my 04 Denali to a diesel powerplant. Has anyone been there and done that? I'm looking for tips so I do not have to invent a new wheel, but I will if I have to. So far I found stand alone 4L60E trans controllers so that part won't be hard. I also found Cummins 12v adapter plates for 4L60E, but is as far as I got on research. IDI engines are great motors for waste oil formulas too, but haven't found adapters yet. I appreciate your thoughts on this before I buy a donor truck, etc. Once I decide which engine will work, I will gladly post my progress. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

The easiest way to do this Jason would be to use a GMT800 Duramax/Allison powertrain such as the penultimate LBZ with the 6-Speed Allison 1000. The electronics will talk to your cluster and BCM and you don't have to re-invent the wheel as it has been done many times before.

OP
OP
E

Express Auto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your knowledge. I found an 06 dually donor truck, going to pick it up asap. The Allison bolts onto the AWD t-case or will I be doing a 4wd conversion? I'm kindof hoping for a 4wd conversion, not a fan of AWD in snow.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your knowledge. I found an 06 dually donor truck, going to pick it up asap. The Allison bolts onto the AWD t-case or will I be doing a 4wd conversion? I'm kindof hoping for a 4wd conversion, not a fan of AWD in snow.

That I couldn't tell ya. Why not create a separate thread asking that question and then some of the guys can bring in some of the fellas who will know?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I Recommend https://www.dieselplace.com/
I good Forum like this one.
Personally, I'm not so sure about longevity with new diesels and recycled fuels, but the experts there know.

I do know a guy who got into the recycling and home brew diesel a few years back. When he paid to replace all his fuel injectors and related parts in his Duramax he discovered that modern diesels are different from the old IDI farm engines that would burn anything.

I don’t like to be a naysayer, however the OP would have better luck burning used oil in an old GM 6.2 or 6.5.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I mentioned it. I've seen MB300 diesels ruin injection pumps on veggie. Best I've seen reliable was 70/30 veg and still needed preheater.
Re-refining old lube oil in an iso/hydro catalyitic unit would be workable diesel output probably 85-90 percent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9