Denali clunking in steering wheel CONTINUED, Changeover to non power steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it applies to K2XX models, but it was common on the NBS trucks, and the answer was usually in the ISS.

Mine just started the clunking. shop said it was in the steering column and had to go to the dealership. What was the fix?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Mine just started the clunking. shop said it was in the steering column and had to go to the dealership. What was the fix?

I just exercised the intermediate shaft to redistribute the grease. Some replace the ISS (I think there's a new design) and/or the bearing for the column.

boal05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 15 Denali had this issue, had the TSB done on the clunking when going around a round-a-bout just put in by our house. The clunking came back, but not as often, however the steering column had excessive play, you could move the whole column up/down and wiggle it, they replaced the whole steering column. just got the vehicle back, haven't noticed anything major, still very minor play, but they said that it is normal, but what we had was not.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Adam10532

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've had a 15 Denali with power column - it clunked and popped inside the column with any low speed and/or parking lot manuever.

My 16 XL started it too with just a handful of miles. A couple of months back, I posted on there and did the TSB for replacing the column bearing. That only lasted a few weeks and now it is back. The issue only appears to happen with the power tilt/power telescoping steering wheel.

Does anyone have access to a good parts catalog to confirm some parts numbers for me?

I'm tired of messing with this and I am going to switch mine over to a non power tilt and non power telescoping steering wheel. According to the research I've done, it looks like a 16 column WITHOUT power is part # 84047767.

As far as I can tell, the only additional parts needed will be the shroud (since the tilt arm is different than the tilt power button) part # 22834650 and the tilt arm itself 23255512.

Anyone care to comment? Anyone see any reason why it can't be done?

Thanks
I know it's a older post but what ended up happening with your issue? I have a 2016 yukon Denali with 42,000 and I hear and feel the 'pop' at low speeds and turning it is currently at a GM shop as of today for diagnose.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this since I am in the market for a '15+ used Denali or Escalade, but shouldn't a $70-$80k SUV not have these type of problems?

I mean between the complaints of wind noise/buffeting, and now this, it is enough to give me pause.
It also reminds me of the cracked dash issue of the last generation where GM punted, along with the peeling chrome door panels, wear marks on the A/C controls, etc.

`

I think there is another thread on this topic where I commented that I did not have such a noise/click.
However this is the only one that popped up in my search.

The reason I looked for this subject is that my 2015 ESV started to "click" when turning on occasion, but not often.
I assumed this is what people had been complaining about, but it was so infrequent, it didn't really bother me, other than me noticing it now and again.
However I now experience it on a daily basis when turning in either direction, and it has become an annoyance to say the least.
What if anything can be done about this obvious malady if you are out of warranty (assuming the limit is based on 35K+ on the odometer?

Jeramia

Reaction score
Question Looking at my 15 Tahoe, the u joint at the bottom of the steering shaft, could this be at a bind and making the clunk sound? Try extending the telescoping steering wheel and see if it still makes the clunk sound.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question Looking at my 15 Tahoe, the u joint at the bottom of the steering shaft, could this be at a bind and making the clunk sound? Try extending the telescoping steering wheel and see if it still makes the clunk sound.

I did fully extend my telescoping steering wheel, but the clicking remains. :(

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check for a TSB on the NHTSA/safercar.gov site or with the dealer. You should also submit a complaint on the NHTSA/safercar.gov site since this could be a safety issue that could ultimately result in a recall ordered by the government.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont