Denali clunking in steering wheel CONTINUED, Changeover to non power steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've had a 15 Denali with power column - it clunked and popped inside the column with any low speed and/or parking lot manuever.

My 16 XL started it too with just a handful of miles. A couple of months back, I posted on there and did the TSB for replacing the column bearing. That only lasted a few weeks and now it is back. The issue only appears to happen with the power tilt/power telescoping steering wheel.

Does anyone have access to a good parts catalog to confirm some parts numbers for me?

I'm tired of messing with this and I am going to switch mine over to a non power tilt and non power telescoping steering wheel. According to the research I've done, it looks like a 16 column WITHOUT power is part # 84047767.

As far as I can tell, the only additional parts needed will be the shroud (since the tilt arm is different than the tilt power button) part # 22834650 and the tilt arm itself 23255512.

Anyone care to comment? Anyone see any reason why it can't be done?

Thanks

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 14 sierra which has the non power tilt and it clunked even after they replaced that plastic bearing

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 16 yukon denali i dont get it tho but only have 9000 miles on it my cousins 2015 yukon denali has it though

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Not sure if it applies to K2XX models, but it was common on the NBS trucks, and the answer was usually in the ISS.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered all the parts so I'll let you guys know how it goes. The power tilt/telescoping column is just junk.

I have zero use for the telescoping wheel and/or power tilt so I'm going to try to get a long term solution here.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration (but that does seem a bit drastic).
I assume it's out of warranty.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered all the parts so I'll let you guys know how it goes. The power tilt/telescoping column is just junk.

I have zero use for the telescoping wheel and/or power tilt so I'm going to try to get a long term solution here.
Just telescopic all the way out and see what happens... only issue would a front collision, youll be eating airbag..

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hate to say this since I am in the market for a '15+ used Denali or Escalade, but shouldn't a $70-$80k SUV not have these type of problems?

I mean between the complaints of wind noise/buffeting, and now this, it is enough to give me pause.
It also reminds me of the cracked dash issue of the last generation where GM punted, along with the peeling chrome door panels, wear marks on the A/C controls, etc.

`

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16 years and they still haven't fixed it yet?.... went thru 3 different upper column revisions on my nbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts