Delayed shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a few brand new GMC trucks over the last few years. 2014 5.3 6 speed SLT was pretty solid but had some clunks when downshifting. 2016 6.2 8spd Denali was also clunky at low speed downshifting the dealer reprogrammed the TCM and it was better but still did it occasionally. 2017 6.2 8spd Denali about the same as the 2016 was after reprogramming. 2018 6.2 8spd has never clunked or acted up in the 6,000 miles I have had it. This is the smoothest truck of the group and yes I like it see pic below. The only time that I ever had a delayed gear engagement was if I started the truck and immediately went to reverse or drive but it would be like 1 second or less. If I can go 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi before gear engagement then I am not going to accept that as normal. Plus it would not make a good getaway vehicle doing that chit!
IMG_5846.jpg

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking it in the 3rd. The thing is I can't replicate it on demand. It usually just surprises me and slips during regular driving. If I try and make it show itself most of the time it won't slip. Intermittent issues usually don't show themselves at the dealer in my experience. We'll see.

Rumblur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
STOP - there is a recall for this. They recalibrate your trans. Takes 15 min. and you are good to go. Mine did exactly the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh