Delayed shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and have a question. I just bought a 2019 Tahoe LS Midnight Edition with the 5.3 and 6 speed. When shifting from reverse to drive I have to wait a a second or two or the tranny slips and then it jerks into gear. Sometimes it more pronounced than others. I've never had this type of thing with any of the automatics I've had in the past. Sometimes it acts normally and sometimes I have to wait before hitting the gas. Anyone else notice this on their 6 speeds? Thanks.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2019 with a 6 speed? thought those were all 10's now?
Nope it's an LS with a six speed. I have that feeling the dealer will say it's a normal operating condition......which it's not in my opinion. Sometimes it's fine but quite often if you don't wait on it for a few seconds and get on the gas it will slip and bang into gear.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evan if they admit it's not a normal condition I hate the thought of them internally monkeying around with my brand new truck. Maybe there's a flash they can do, but I have a feeling it's a solenoid or a check vale or deformed seal.....or something. I have no idea. I don't know a lot about the internals of these transmission but I would assume it will probably get worse over time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope it's an LS with a six speed. I have that feeling the dealer will say it's a normal operating condition......which it's not in my opinion. Sometimes it's fine but quite often if you don't wait on it for a few seconds and get on the gas it will slip and bang into gear.
I have the 6l80e 6 speed in my 2012 it goes right into reverse every time no delay or banging, my 00 nbs had the 4l60e 4 speed it banged (or clanked rather) a little depending on how the 4x4 drivetrain was sitting but otherwise always went right into gear.
what you are describing doesn't sound like normal operation. so if they dispute it then say OK! let's go try one of the other trucks on the lot and see what it does?

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have to bring it in to the dealer. I was hoping it was something others had experienced and there was a simple flash or something that corrected it. I have seen a TSB on the 8 speeds for this issue but not on the 6 speed. Going through the 8 speed TSB they were advising if the shift occurs in under 3 seconds not to proceed with the suggested repair. Three seconds still seems unacceptable to me. I'm hoping they don't pull their usual story that it's within normal design tolerance.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah I have to bring it in to the dealer. I was hoping it was something others had experienced and there was a simple flash or something that corrected it. I have seen a TSB on the 8 speeds for this issue but not on the 6 speed. Going through the 8 speed TSB they were advising if the shift occurs in under 3 seconds not to proceed with the suggested repair. Three seconds still seems unacceptable to me. I'm hoping they don't pull their usual story that it's within normal design tolerance.
Maybe try a different dealer. Maybe a Cadillac dealer.