Decommissioned Tahoe PPV: Auxiliary Battery and Its Usage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super awesome info. I just picked up a 2011 PPV today. I'm not learning that since it's a 4x4, it's NOT a PPV and instead an SSV? Is that correct? Are they also lowered like the 2wd PPV's? Thanks so much
Yes if it is a 4x4 then it is an SSV. The SSV is NOT lowered like the PPV and sits higher.

bobo49505

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 and i do traffic direction for our town. i can leave my truck off with all my led warning lights on and only us my car starter every now and then when i remember and all the other guys half to have there's running all the time.

OP
OP
J

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my google research result about dual battery setup:

1) Primary and aux battery connected in parallel WITHOUT an isolate relay

When the engine is NOT running both batteries supply all OEM, aftermarket (upfitted) and trailer electric devices same time; when the engine is running, both batteries get recharging simultaneously. Also, both batteries supply electric power to starter simultaneously when cranking engine.

When the batteries run down, no more cranking engine.

2007 - 2014 PPV has this setup.

2) Primary and aux battery connected in parallel WITH an isolate relay

a) When the engine is NOT running primary battery supplies all OEM electric devices, aux battery only supplies aftermarket's (upfitted) and trailer's electric devices; when the engine is running, both batteries get recharging simultaneously. Also, only primary battery supplies electric power to starter when cranking engine.

The aux battery only duty is to supply electric power to aftermarket's (upfitted) and trailer's electric devices when the engine is NOT running.

When primary battery runs down, no more cranking engine even the aux one still has sufficient juice. The working around is exchanging primary battery's position with aux one's.

2015 - up PPV has this setup. But some police departments by-pass the isolate relay intentionally to bo back to 2007 - 2014 setup.

b) When the engine is NOT running the primary battery supplies all OEM, aftermarket (upfitted) and trailer electric devices; when the engine is running, both batteries get recharging simultaneously.

The aux battery is dedicated to supply electric power to starter when cranking engine.

When the primary battery runs down, the aux one still can crank the engine.

All above 3 configurations can be done by one isolate relay setup. The isolate relay has OEM and aftermarket styles.

If your PPV does not have an isolate relay, you could install an OEM one, but you need digging into PCM box to get ignition signal. See the following link:

Or go to simple venue, install an aftermarket isolate relay. See the following link:

So, make one choice to meet your best interesting.

stocksj

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a dual-battery kit with is a battery box for a 12 volt battery with gauges and attachments. I put a 12 volt deep cycle battery in and plan on using it for ham radio. For charging I need to see if I want to connect it to the 12 volt socket in the rear or find another way to keep it charged.

Attachments

• IMG-6689.JPG
    IMG-6689.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-6687.JPG
    IMG-6687.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 13

guywith2015LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the engine is NOT running the primary battery supplies all OEM, aftermarket (upfitted) and trailer electric devices; when the engine is running, both batteries get recharging simultaneously.

what configuration is this? i understood the sub "a" section is for "Primary and aux battery connected in parallel WITH an isolate relay" but confused about sub "b" section.

This is really nice information btw, I have 2015 tahoe and planning to go camping soon and want to use the auxiliary battery.

BrooklynGuppy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I absolutely love having them in both of the twins. I run ham radios in both, and appreciate having the capacity to run extended periods with the engine off.

In thecopcar specifically, I often have 3 radios plus a 45 liter refrigerator. Dual batteries are a must for me.
I picked mine up with the Aux-Battery removed, along with other gear. They did leave part of the harness under the dashboard and the antennas. I am also a ham out of Oklahoma. It would be awesome to reconnect the Aux-Bat to the truck for my radios. I just can't seem to find the specs for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844