Death Wobble After Decrank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my wife drove my tahoe today and called me and said that she almost went off the road because it was shaking so bad.....I figured she was just being a girl and blowing it out of perportion. But when she got home I took it for a drive and HOLY SHIT its pretty bad. I checked everything out, steering box is a little loose when the engine is off so I'm going to replace that, but everything else feels tight. Balljoints feel tight, tie rod ends feel tight, wheels are tight, but I think I'm just going to get the parts and replace what I can afford right now.

But my question is will a 2wd steering box fit a 4wd truck? I have a 92 2wd steering box but my tahoe is a 97 4wd. The pitman arm is the same and I'm sure the bolt pattern is the same but I just want to make sure before I get it all apart tomorrow.

But help on what to look for would be appreciated. But if the road is smooth its fine, but if it gets bumpy the front end starts to shake really bad. I haven't got an alignment yet, because I'm waiting from me new keys to show up and I'm sure that has something to do with it

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to install new inner and outter tie rod ends since thats all I can afford right now and next wednesday I have an appointment to get it aligned. Hopefully I'll have my new keys by then and have the back dropped down where it should be.

rocnhog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 98 4x4 had a problem with shaking and I discovered that the shock for the steering stablizer became loose from where it is bolted to the frame. I tighted it up and my problem went away.

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 98 4x4 had a problem with shaking and I discovered that the shock for the steering stablizer became loose from where it is bolted to the frame. I tighted it up and my problem went away.

I don't have a steering stabilizer, but its going to the alignment shop on wednesday so hopefully that will fix it.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, alignment shop will fix it...you lowered your truck putting more pressure on the wheel causing it to bend inwards. Death wobble comes with lifting and lowering your vechile! Both your tires are uneven. You need to jack up your jack and adjust them so the tires are even.

It was on last weeks eposide of truck u

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, alignment shop will fix it...you lowered your truck putting more pressure on the wheel causing it to bend inwards. Death wobble comes with lifting and lowering your vechile! Both your tires are uneven. You need to jack up your jack and adjust them so the tires are even.

It was on last weeks eposide of truck u

HAHA I hate that show, but I say the jeep doing the death wobble and had to watch it.

But the truck goes in wednesday morning to get the alignment done. Hopefully I'll have the drop all done by then. Still have to install the hangers and the keys. The gas tank is already pulled and the drivers side hanger is out and I'm going back to work on it for a few hours today.

But pics will be up wednesday afternoon when the drop and alignment is all done :D

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to ebay theres a complete suspension kit for our trucks for $150.

If you can do all the work shit its ****!

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

I hate that show too since its not my style of SUVS...but Its a car show..it shows you how to do shit so I watch it!

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to ebay theres a complete suspension kit for our trucks for $150.

If you can do all the work shit its ****!

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

I hate that show too since its not my style of SUVS...but Its a car show..it shows you how to do shit so I watch it!

Well so far I have about $75 into my drop. I still need shocks, but they will come soon enough.

But for the $75 I have 3" drop shackles (probably going to be modified to 4"), new U bolts, drop keys, and hangers. I had a free set of perelli p zero tires and bought a set of chrome 20s SUPER cheap.

But the drivers side is done as of today, just have to put that gas tank back in place and then grind off the passengers side hanger and install the new one and put everything back together. Drop keys will be a sinch, getting the tool from GM in the morning :D I love knowing people LOL and my bumpstops are already trimmed down and I had to pull off my tailpipe until I chop that up to make it fit again.

But I will probably have it done tomorrow but I won't wash it until I come home wednesday afternoon. I can't wait to see how it looks dropped more