Dealer has had my '15 Denali for 3 months. What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdowns12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took my 15.5 Denali to the local dealer (SE Michigan) with a CEL on 5/19. Diagnosed as a fuel injector issue. I had my injection system replaced in Feb'19 so, I was surprised. Dealer gave it back (and charged me $900) to me on 5/30. Drove it to work the following Monday, immediately threw another CEL and went into 'limp home mode'. Dealer has had it since, claiming they can't get parts out of Pontiac. I've opened a case with GM customer service but they're not helpful.

What would you be doing if you were me?

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also ask for the part number(s) of the so-called unobtanium part(s) and do some of your own homework; or more likely you will call their bluff merely by asking.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the dealer have an incentive to hurry up? Giving you a loaner car for example. If they haven’t, I would demand one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go check on my truck after three months. Maybe it’s lost or damaged?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 15.5 Denali to the local dealer (SE Michigan) with a CEL on 5/19. Diagnosed as a fuel injector issue. I had my injection system replaced in Feb'19 so, I was surprised. Dealer gave it back (and charged me $900) to me on 5/30. Drove it to work the following Monday, immediately threw another CEL and went into 'limp home mode'. Dealer has had it since, claiming they can't get parts out of Pontiac. I've opened a case with GM customer service but they're not helpful.

I would have pulled it out of there and fixed it myself or taken it to another dealership.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. These responses are something. If the parts are on back order, that isn't the dealer's fault and no other dealer will be able to get them either! It sucks but I don't know what you expect the dealer to do, build a plant in the back lot to manufacturer just the part you need? Hopefully they've given you a loaner or rental on GM's dime so just keep driving that.

If you're the original owner you may have a buy back case or depending on the laws in your state you may still have a case even if you're not the original owner.

No one here can really help you since you didn't say what part(s) is/are on back order either.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Researching pipe bombs on someone else's computer.

Seriously, that's way too long. Someone above said parts may be back ordered, but that's still an excessive amount of time unless there's a super secret part that's hand made in Wakanda out of vibranium.

I would:
Get them to give you the part #
Call another dealer(s)
Ask them about the part

If another dealer says no problem:
I would find out what state the truck is in now (taken apart, can it be driven, etc.)
Request that it either be completed immediately...
Or put back together (if it's not) and take it to the other dealer

In my experience three months is completely unacceptable.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in your area, just curious who the dealer is. Send me a private message if you would like to share the name of the dealership.
There are many comments and suggestions here, but one I would seriously worry about is damage to your truck. A couple of sagas over the years in the vette and Camaro forums regarding extensive damage caused to vehicles at the dealership, and them attempting to buy time by claiming back ordered parts. Walk in unannounced and see your vehicle.
Otherwise, a face to face meeting with the general manager and/or the owner of the dealership is the next move here. I’m assuming you have no rental from the dealer because you’re out of warranty. An entire summer without your truck is long enough. It’s time they give you a real solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep