Dead Spot in Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vonderbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had my '21 for a few weeks now and at first I thought I was imagining this, but now I'm certain. During very gradual turns (like merging) I have had momentary loss of control or maybe you I should call it feedback in the steering. Imagine you're turning the wheel and suddenly it feels as if the travel direction doesn't match your movement. It's not loose like an older vehicle, this is a very firm feeling, similar to what you might feel driving across a steel bridge on a motorcycle (if anyone has ever done that, it's no fun at all). It's literally a fraction of a second, but it's enough to give me a scare.

I had considered that this might be some sort of anti-collision feature where maybe I'm crossing over into another lane (merging) and it is providing resistance as a means to notify me, but that would be a horribly ****** way to accomplish that. I've had such a feature in a Mercedes and it's just a vibration, not a full tilt loss of movement.

I'm going to mention this to the dealer, but I'm afraid they will do the whole "we can't recreate the problem" thing and send me on my way. Describing it is difficult enough, but showing it is impossible without hours behind the wheel.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

OP
OP
Vonderbach

Vonderbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No shit? I wonder why they didn't adopt something a little more obvious? I suppose the fact that I only notice it every once and a while means I'm using my signal most of the time... ;) Good to know though, thanks for the confirmation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99