Dashskin Removal, Dashboard Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and picked up the new dashboard this morning from the dealer; here is the box for those who may be considering ordering via an online vs dealer source. I can grab exact measurements if someone would like but in short it's big and will require a suburban or van to go get; the dealer also took it out of it's shipping box as that is even larger however it's only a 10lbs shipment.

It's looking like storms this weekend where I live, and since I'll need to pull the 09 and the Wrangler out of the garage to do the work it may wait until the weekend following.

Attachments

• Dashbox 2.jpg
    Dashbox 2.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Dashbox 1.jpg
    Dashbox 1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 14

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went and picked up the new dashboard this morning from the dealer; here is the box for those who may be considering ordering via an online vs dealer source. I can grab exact measurements if someone would like but in short it's big and will require a suburban or van to go get; the dealer also took it out of it's shipping box as that is even larger however it's only a 10lbs shipment.

It's looking like storms this weekend where I live, and since I'll need to pull the 09 and the Wrangler out of the garage to do the work it may wait until the weekend following.
If you buy it online, shipping is via freight only and thus very expensive. Iirc I paid around $200 for shipping. It’s what makes buying this part so expensive.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the box is too big to go UPS or FedEx Ground. That usually eats up any savings over buying local. The other advantage is there's also a lot less risk of it being damaged in shipping and if it is damaged the dealer will handle the damage claim.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the box is too big to go UPS or FedEx Ground. That usually eats up any savings over buying local. The other advantage is there's also a lot less risk of it being damaged in shipping and if it is damaged the dealer will handle the damage claim.
I actually bought mine from an online dealer because even with the shipping it was something like $60 less than my local dealer. So I think it depends on your dealer. Almost none of them stock these because they take up so much room so you pay for shipping either way unless you’re lucky enough to be near one of the warehouses. And the boxes they come in protect them very good. They’re built with big foam pieces that keep the dash away from the edges of the box and support them.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three teaser shots as to what I was up to today, I have 106 total pictures and will be doing a full write up on how I got the dash out and then back into place.

From start to finish plan on a full 9 hour day with a break at lunch, also ensure you have visited your favorite adult beverage store prior to starting so that you can enjoy a drink after you're all done.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 20

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three teaser shots as to what I was up to today, I have 106 total pictures and will be doing a full write up on how I got the dash out and then back into place.

From start to finish plan on a full 9 hour day with a break at lunch, also ensure you have visited your favorite adult beverage store prior to starting so that you can enjoy a drink after you're all done.
Looks so much better. Personally I can’t stand those dash skins. They just look like a band aid to me.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confirmed with the dealer that the two part numbers are 23224747 for the main dash and 23224733 for the extension, I don't have a center speaker and have the black ebony interior.

Prices I've seen for each online are around $450-500 for the main dash and $275-350 for the extension excluding shipping. Pricing from a dealer is $660 for the dash and $420 for the extension. I've got a very good relationship with the service department at my local Cadillac dealer and they are going to see what they can do on pricing for the two parts as they understand the dash issue but I am not the original owner to either vehicle.

From a warranty perspective, if I get the part through the dealer and the dash cracks (Second generation should not) its covered and I exchange the part at the dealer. The extension isn't as important as the dash as it comes in a giant box by freight as others have mentioned whereas it can ship direct to the dealer.

I will need to take pictures for my own sanity when the dash comes out so that I can get the thing back in, I will absolutely share when finished.

My goal is to get the dash purchased this week and with shipping get in my hands by the end of next or the week of 8/15, that should allow for me to complete the actual conversion on the 20th or the week of the 27th.

Holding up the dash swap is my selection of a new Nav unit, I want to swap everything at once as I need to route the GPS antenna under the dash for the new head unit.

I need to get it completed prior to 9/10 as that is my last full weekend prior to heading back to Saturday grad school.
I wouldn't worry about the head unit gps antenna, that's easy there is room to slide the cable thru easily and there is a couple spots where it can sit right under the forward trim piece.
edit never mind, already done good job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon