Dashboard alert keeps coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytahoefan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 chevy Tahoe and I use it to pull a boat during the summer. I haven't pulled the boat in months. Last month I received a alert on my dash telling me to( service trailer brake system) took it into the dealer and they tell me they have to trace all the computers and it's a lot of work. With this covid19 problem they say they cant get parts, if they do find the problem. The question I have is the truck safe to drive (not pulling anything) the service manager seemed unsure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second: Is that all it said?

Found this info:

"
The ITBC system is integrated with the vehicle’s brake, antilock brake, and StabiliTrak systems. In trailering conditions that cause the vehicle’s antilock brake or StabiliTrak systems to activate, power sent to the trailer's brakes will be automatically adjusted to minimize trailer wheel lock-up. This does not imply that the trailer has StabiliTrak.

Integrated Trailer Brake Control System

The vehicle may have an Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC) system for use with electric trailer brakes or most electric over hydraulic trailer brakes.

If the vehicle’s brake, antilock brake, or StabiliTrak systems are not functioning properly, the ITBC system may not be fully functional or may not function at all. Make sure all of these systems are fully operational to ensure full functionality of the ITBC system.

This symbol is on the Trailer Brake Control Panel on vehicles with an ITBC system. The power output to the trailer brakes is based on the amount of brake pressure being applied by the vehicle’s brake

The ITBC system is powered through the vehicle's electrical system. Turning the ignition off will also turn off the ITBC system. The ITBC system is fully functional only when the ignition is in ON/RUN."

"This could be at least three things. The control module above the spare tire could be faulty, it's got a big connector on it, be careful it breaks easy. Check for pin fit in every terminal. Should be a micro 64 test lead. Just insert it and flip the connector over, it shouldn't fall out, if it does replace the affected terminals. Those are the most common for this concern that I've seen."

"I had the same issue last week. They replaced the dash brake controller switch. While I was doing my own research there was a lot of people saying that it's the relay above the spare tire"

"
"

upload_2020-3-31_6-8-0.png

Sorry, this second screen shot is not supposed to be there. I was trying to turn down speaker volume and accidentally hit "print screen".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe