Dash lights gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help I'm stumped..01 suburban I'm having a problem losing my dash lights..the lights for the gauges.i did some testing and all pointed towards bad headlight switch.swapped for a new one last a week or so an stopped working.kinda thought it mite be deffective because I bought it off Amazon. Amazon has a guarantee so I got a second one.same thing.i know what your gonna say..it's a short but here's the wierd part.if I turn my dimmer dial all the way up to turn on the done lights the dash lights come on.i can see the shift indicator and the brake and abs lights and the info square it's just the lights behind the gauges.hoping someone has had this same issue I've been Googling but haven't found anything help unfortunately.happy Thanksgiving week to you all

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question - with the headlamps on does the dimmer rheostat dim the VFD indicator for the gear level position at all; or does it stay constant? As well when you kick the lights on does that same display dim at all and get brighter when they're off?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
01subCT

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'll check tommorow.ive been researching online and some people say to check the ground strap on the back of my passenger head so that's the first thing im gonna check.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the light switch dimming issue only applies to the 07+, it's more likely to be a issue with the cluster, have you tried smacking the top of the dash and to see if the light changes at all? they get loose solder contacts inside.

OP
OP
01subCT

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I haven't.i was under the impression that the cluster issues were in 03 up models with the stepper motors.01 doesn't use that type..but I'll be banging away for sure lol try that for sure

Jacob Metz

Reaction score
There should be a orange wire behind the radio. Connect it to a 12v power temporarily and see if your dash lights come on.
Hey guys need some help I'm stumped..01 suburban I'm having a problem losing my dash lights..the lights for the gauges.i did some testing and all pointed towards bad headlight switch.swapped for a new one last a week or so an stopped working.kinda thought it mite be deffective because I bought it off Amazon. Amazon has a guarantee so I got a second one.same thing.i know what your gonna say..it's a short but here's the wierd part.if I turn my dimmer dial all the way up to turn on the done lights the dash lights come on.i can see the shift indicator and the brake and abs lights and the info square it's just the lights behind the gauges.hoping someone has had this same issue I've been Googling but haven't found anything help unfortunately.happy Thanksgiving week to you all