Dash cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wapiti22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a Facebook page dedicated to this issue. Covers the years from 07 - 2015 on Tahoes Suburbans, pickups, etc. GM refuses to acknowledge the issue. Problem is, people are spending upward of $1000 or more to get a replacement only to have it crack as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM has acknowledged it. For a time they were covering it under their extended warranty program (even when vehicles were out of warranty) with a $100 deductible but for the last few years that has been harder to get them to do. They just refuse to formally admit it is their fault, so they don’t have to pay for all of them. The newer parts have been updated and reinforced in the problem areas so if you buy a new one it supposedly is a better design. It’s not a safety issue so a recall isn’t warranted they say.

Elmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi dash on my 2013 GMC Yukon is starting to crack by the instrument cluster what have people done to fix this but is there anyway I can just buy a new dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I removed the panel closest to the windshield and then melted a small piece of the same plastic across the hidden part of the crack. Trim off excess plastic from a non visible location to do this. I used a soldering iron to melt the underlying dash plastic a little an applied the cut piece. Then I heated the piece I applied and smoothed it all along the concealed part of the crack, It is not perfect but much less visible with the entire dash looking again like one unbroken continuous piece again. It as held for more than two years.

If you are not too picky and want to strengthen it more you could run the hot iron over the exposed seam as well but it will leave a visible indent. I chose to make small railroad track like cross laps to strenthen the crack repair.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Dealers are abandoning their responsibilities to cut the losses the factory is passing on. The current fix isn’t a fix even if you pay to have it fixed.

Our 08 dash was intact when we purchased it in ‘14. In late ‘16 it cracked. Obviously the prior owner did what we did not, garage it. Our clear on the roof went in 17 and on the hood this year. The CA sun transformed the perfect paint on the hood to crackle in a short two weeks about 6 Mo. ago. I paid $350 to have the black hood shot w/ PPG while another claim was done to it. Well worth it to save it before it got worse.

In regard to the dash fix, our long term plan is to obtain a donor dash from a wrecker. From there we’ll shop for a suitable wrap that’s tolerant of UV and have it recovered. There’s no need to get that deep into an oem repair when GM’s dash formula doesn’t have adequate UV protection.

We figure 1 - $1.5k to do the job depending on the materials. Once it’s complete, the value goes up higher than an oem refurb because it’s fixed oem plus, forever, in good taste. Sorry no faux animal prints here.

3763638cd2d3bae8a894355e3f19c511.jpg

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of several well-documented, chronic and ridiculous failures that GM designers/engineers/accountants/product managers are ignoring despite complaints from new and even loyal customers. Unacceptable, and the main reason why my first GM purchase will be my last.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed the panel closest to the windshield and then melted a small piece of the same plastic across the hidden part of the crack. Trim off excess plastic from a non visible location to do this. I used a soldering iron to melt the underlying dash plastic a little an applied the cut piece. Then I heated the piece I applied and smoothed it all along the concealed part of the crack, It is not perfect but much less visible with the entire dash looking again like one unbroken continuous piece again. It as held for more than two years.

If you are not too picky and want to strengthen it more you could run the hot iron over the exposed seam as well but it will leave a visible indent. I chose to make small railroad track like cross laps to strenthen the crack repair.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although Dash cracks are ugly, that animal print dash cover is totally disgusting LOL. I am going to glue this one with permatex plastic weld and see how it does.......I do not have enough beer to get through the Mother Of All Dash crack Thread just yet Haha IMG_6813.jpg

isp5190

Reaction score
Hi dash on my 2013 GMC Yukon is starting to crack by the instrument cluster what have people done to fix this but is there anyway I can just buy a new dash

My brothers cracked on his 2013 Suburban, mine cracked near the airbag on our 2009 Tahoe.

My brother paid just over $400 for a dash from the dealer and we installed it in 2.5 hours. It's not a simple install. Still debating if I am going to replace mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu