Dash Cam : Your Install and Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndzxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My garage door buttons work when key is out of ignition

Thanks Tom. That would explain why no one is doing that.

I was also considering tapping power at the rear view mirror (w/ backup cam). If any is switched with ignition....

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. That would explain why no one is doing that.

I was also considering tapping power at the rear view mirror (w/ backup cam). If any is switched with ignition....
I think either @kbuskill or @Doubeleive tapped into the mirror wiring for their radar detector power.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the 4k dash cam I just purchased survives the Texas summers!

I live in Florida and any camera that has a battery can't be considered. You need models with capacitors. Some say super capacitors. Batteries won't last and will bulge open. That new Viofo is a capacitor camera I believe.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use cameras from Thinkware. They're more expensive, but they've been reliable. They have impact sensors and can be set to parking mode if it is hardwired. In parking, it will only record if it senses motion or senses a bump. It has a voltage cut-off so it will turn completely off when the voltage drops to a predetermined level.

It uses a capacitor to be able to record even if power is interrupted during a collision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st