Dash Cam Power From Rearview Mirror or Overhead Console on 2017 Tahoe LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kappasig298

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched through the forums but I couldn't find a direct answer to my question. I have a 2017 Tahoe LS and I am looking to power a dash cam via 5v mini usb from either my rearview mirror cabling or the overhead console. I would like the dash cam to turn on and off with car ignition. I saw in the forums that the rearview mirror in the 2017 Tahoe may not have enough voltage to power the dashcam. Is this true? If so, how do I go about tapping into the airbag indicator light in the overhead console? Is there a pinout diagram to know where to splice into?

Thanks for any help!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched through the forums but I couldn't find a direct answer to my question. I have a 2017 Tahoe LS and I am looking to power a dash cam via 5v mini usb from either my rearview mirror cabling or the overhead console. I would like the dash cam to turn on and off with car ignition. I saw in the forums that the rearview mirror in the 2017 Tahoe may not have enough voltage to power the dashcam. Is this true? If so, how do I go about tapping into the airbag indicator light in the overhead console? Is there a pinout diagram to know where to splice into?

Thanks for any help!
correct the mirror does not have enough voltage, no pinout for the airbag light I think is only 2 wires or only a couple wires at that point, pretty easy to figure out with a meter

OP
OP
K

Kappasig298

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
correct the mirror does not have enough voltage, no pinout for the airbag light I think is only 2 wires or only a couple wires at that point, pretty easy to figure out with a meter
Appreciate the reply. I recently replaced my overhead console and I am looking at an airbag indicator cable right now and see 5 wires. Blue, Black, Gray, Purple/White, and Purple/White again. I don't have a meter handy, but will look into getting one and try it out unless someone else knows for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply. I recently replaced my overhead console and I am looking at an airbag indicator cable right now and see 5 wires. Blue, Black, Gray, Purple/White, and Purple/White again. I don't have a meter handy, but will look into getting one and try it out unless someone else knows for sure.
I don't recall the color of the wire's I just used my meter with key-on and key-off, any cheapy volt meter will work to test, i think black was ground though as odd as that would be for GM to follow any kind of universal color scheme.
be sure to check the wires with and without a presence in the passenger seat as the light switches from one to the other

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have any kind led bulb floating around you could hook a couple wires to it and test it that way also, generally led's have polarity and it wont hurt anything.

OP
OP
K

Kappasig298

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I used the information at this post, https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/dash-cam-install-wiring.69575/ to help me get my dashcam hooked up.

I used this DC/DC converter, https://www.amazon.com/SSLHONG-Step-Down-Converter-Module-Adapter/dp/B085XHDJGD?th=1 to get me a mini usb connection for my dashcam. I used double sided tape to tape it to the underside of the roof console.

I used a quick splice connector similar to this one, https://www.amazon.com/AIRIC-Solder...=inline+tap+electrical&qid=1636832834&sr=8-13 to connect the red wire from the converter to the violet/white wire at spot 4. I connected the black wire from the converter to the black ground wire at spot 2.

The dashcam boots up with the key turning and turns off when you turn off the car. It works great for my needs. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg
IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
6Modified_zps7e7d61ad.jpg