Dark Ash '22 Tahoe. Thoughts after a few days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% in your boat. I'm taking delivery of a Yukon Denali in 3-4 weeks coming from an x5m and a couple of BMWs before the x5. I would've got the X7 but the 3rd row only has two seats and we wanted captains in the second row and 3 seats in the 3rd.

Test driving, the brakes are what stood out to me. Zero confidence compared to BMW. I'm curious to hear your review on the Brembo upgrade. Performance and dust, lol.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past 20 years I've purchased Audi/MB's but primarily BMW's until I purchased a Jeep Trackhawk in '18. So take my comments with a grain of salt based on experiences.

Anyway, I needed a larger vehicle for the family and I ordered a Tahoe.

Pro's - quiet, smooth, great radio/gauge interface, Borla exhaust adds a nice grumble. Active cruise is very smooth unlike the Jeep. HUD display is large and simple. The leather dash is a nice touch. The room for 4 people is awesome and I love the looks. Charging mat on the console is large and convenient. I like the color combination of Dark Ash and black leather. I don't think I'm going to blacken any of the chrome parts, maybe new wheels. I think the Xpel tint 70%-25%-55% looks great.

Con's - no automatic high beam, seating position is ok at best - pedals need to adjust or the steering wheel needs to come farther out, Im 6-5. Chevy perf. exhaust isn't worth the $. Brakes are incredibly numb and lack any feel. I'd like a thicker steering wheel. Wind noise is much higher at freeway (70-80) speeds than anticipated, so quiet around town. The 6.2 must have a 50lb flywheel, I hate taking my foot off the gas and it keeps accelerating. The transmission needs more refinement. I get some weird shifts from a start, either 1-2 or 2-3, I’m not sure what it starts in. I have some trim that is a good 1/4 inch from aligning.

Overall, it's a solid vehicle, moves my kids to school, practices and the grocery store. We have our first road trip this Saturday and hope its as great as I think it will be. I have no regrets at this time but my wife wanted to know why we didn't just buy an X7.

Here are some additional pics. The Brembo's aren't in yet so I cannot comment on them.

If anyone has questions, fire away.
I concur with pretty much everything you say. I don't have the 6.2, but agree on the brakes, transmission, seating position and lack of adjustable pedals. However wind noise seems good with my Yukon.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TFL has a YouTube video of a 22 Tahoe in deep snow. That truck is a Z71 in dark ash. It’s in a variety of lighting conditions

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
I don't think it's the flywheel, could be. I think it's the throttle by wire programming that's the issue. If you step on the gas there is a noticeable lag before the Tahoe starts to accelerate. Likewise when lifting off the pedal there is lag before the car stops accelerating. It's very annoying to say the least and could use some new programming.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford made their adaptive cruise control (Co-Pilot360) standard on the XLT trim with the '22 refresh. Hopefully this forces the hand at GM to make it standard on lower trims as well. Many other manufacturers have made adaptive cruise control standard on all trims, as you mentioned Honda being one of them.
My new 22 refresh HC Silverado on order doesn’t even have acc. It’s part of a $1900 technology package which includes rear camera mirror and HUD, I didn’t see need for it. Wife’s Tahoe has acc which we like alot, rear camera mirror is nice to have with kids in back seat and harder to see all the way out back window.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks into my 2022 Z71 with the 6.2, and I agree with your assessment. The steering needs to move further out or the pedals need to move in. I'm only 6'2", but I still can't get the driving position exactly where I want it. Of course, I couldn't get adaptive cruise on the Z71 trim, and I do miss it sometimes. My son's Civic has it, so it seems pretty lame that my $73k Tahoe does not.
Back when these were utility vehicles the seats were made for adult men to sit comfortably but today they are more designed for smaller people with short limbs. And they are all like that.

kristenbeth1123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of the dark ash ones in person and actually see a darkish purple hue in certain light
I’m nervous for it to look dark purple or dark blue :( it’s so frustrating seeing computer generated pictures when you order and then in person it’s completely different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts