Dan's ratty truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also noticed that when I installed the leafs years ago I put the bolts in wrong and the end of the bolts have been rubbing the hanger for idk 5 years. I guess I should fix that now the bed is off.

Attachments

• 2761049C-413C-4240-B8D7-369DF46FA450.jpeg
    2761049C-413C-4240-B8D7-369DF46FA450.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 7B131D75-72B4-4C7F-8580-C766BAE4F4A0.jpeg
    7B131D75-72B4-4C7F-8580-C766BAE4F4A0.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 5

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a whole lot done today! Starting by finishing up welding a few things that were too ugly to let slide. Then I wheeled the axle down the hill across the pasture to the shop to clean it up with the grinder and slap some black on it. This one pint of Chassis saver painted the axle and a bunch of the frame of the Silverado. I love this paint it’s easy and just works incredibly well.

Then it dried while I got a slab of ribs, came back and rolled it up the hill under the truck bolted it in and set the truck down in its own 4 feet for the first time in a long time!
Could have just bolted a dil*o in place of the u-joint, sat on it and rode that mother down the hill. Might have made some others here jealous though. That’s a whole different type of spin class. :shrug:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could have just bolted a dil*o in place of the u-joint, sat on it and rode that mother down the hill. Might have made some others here jealous though. That’s a whole different type of spin class. :shrug:

Lmao! I need to pull the shaft because it’s not gonna work anyway and needs to be used as a length checker since it’s the right length but needs a different yoke and I want a beefy shaft like the Tahoe has. I need to come up with a drive shaft loop as well.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao! I need to pull the shaft because it’s not gonna work anyway and needs to be used as a length checker since it’s the right length but needs a different yoke and I want a beefy shaft like the Tahoe has. I need to come up with a drive shaft loop as well.
Needs a beefy shaft...don't we all :sigh:

That paint looks really good. I'm assuming it's a brush on product? I did base/clear on my c10. Laid it on with factory peel and buffed some of the areas slick that you could see. After 10 years, it's starting to show its age. I wish I would've done chassis black and been done (or powder coat). That would've saved me a shit load of work

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needs a beefy shaft...don't we all :sigh:

That paint looks really good. I'm assuming it's a brush on product? I did base/clear on my c10. Laid it on with factory peel and buffed some of the areas slick that you could see. After 10 years, it's starting to show its age. I wish I would've done chassis black and been done (or powder coat). That would've saved me a shit load of work

Brush in and there’s nothing really nice about this paint other than you can apply it to rough rust and it makes stuff black forever. It does fade a little over time to a dull black but as long as it’s black and not rust IDC. I like the brush on better than spray too because no worry of overspray and brushing it is satisfying. I wish my powder guy would get an oven big enough for a frame but I don’t want to strip the truck that far down anyway lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Brush in and there’s nothing really nice about this paint other than you can apply it to rough rust and it makes stuff black forever. It does fade a little over time to a dull black but as long as it’s black and not rust IDC. I like the brush on better than spray too because no worry of overspray and brushing it is satisfying. I wish my powder guy would get an oven big enough for a frame but I don’t want to strip the truck that far down anyway lol.
I just used Por 15. Seemed ok, just gotta wear gloves--I didn't. Also brushes on.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used Por 15. Seemed ok, just gotta wear gloves--I didn't. Also brushes on.

I’ve always wanted to try POR15 but I’ve had such good luck with chassis saver I don’t see what could be any better and it’s usually a couple dollars cheaper on Amazon.

I’ve always wanted to take CS, POR, Rustoleum, east wood, and maybe another couple Paint over rust products and test them on small pieces of rusty diamond plate. Let them cure a solid week and then torture test them with hammers and brushes to see which is best. But that requires a lot of time.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to try POR15 but I’ve had such good luck with chassis saver I don’t see what could be any better and it’s usually a couple dollars cheaper on Amazon.

I’ve always wanted to take CS, POR, Rustoleum, east wood, and maybe another couple Paint over rust products and test them on small pieces of rusty diamond plate. Let them cure a solid week and then torture test them with hammers and brushes to see which is best. But that requires a lot of time.
I never had any luck with Rustoleum. Used it on the hitch, didn't do much. I used the Por 15 on the lower door sills on the Hoe, and ALOT on the lower parts of the van and front bumper. I bought the cleaner and degreaser, but didn't use it.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had any luck with Rustoleum. Used it on the hitch, didn't do much. I used the Por 15 on the lower door sills on the Hoe, and ALOT on the lower parts of the van and front bumper. I bought the cleaner and degreaser, but didn't use it.
I never buy any of the prep products either, I just dust off the loose stuff and brush it one as thick as possible.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Todd kinda has you covered:

Somewhat related:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442