D-Pillar speaker revisit - purpose and connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that would give me a total impedence of 1.7 ohms. My amp is 2 ohm stable. Would that be close enough or anything under 2 is risky?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a conversation with myself but after talking to my guru friend, the stock speakers at 12.5 ohms will give me a total of about 3 ohms? That should do the trick and bring out the stockers more with real power going to them. Will plug those back in and see how they shine :)

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I upgraded all 4 door speakers with some pioneers I've had laying around. (they are all 4 ohms) Seems my PPV didn't come with the d pillar speakers. I have a set of OEM d pillar speakers with the same color wires as the rear door speakers. Should I even bother adding them?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I upgraded all 4 door speakers with some pioneers I've had laying around. (they are all 4 ohms) Seems my PPV didn't come with the d pillar speakers. I have a set of OEM d pillar speakers with the same color wires as the rear door speakers. Should I even bother adding them?

I wouldn't bother. They're really more for rear passengers.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using stock amp, the d-pillar speakers will take power away from the door speakers. They share same wiring so it will hurt the other speakers. More speakers are better but the stock setup already bad at powering aftermarket speakers, I wouldnt add. In my case, not only was I using aftermarket amp but my rear was too loud for the car so sharing that power with other speakers helped since the tweets which are installed on the rear doors (right next to front passenger ears) stopped getting the same power.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I never wired them, i'm only using the doors.

Hoganator

Reaction score
One of my D Pillar speakers is fried and buzzing. I just want to replace the pair (with upgraded units) in those locations, keeping the rest of the system stock. I'm all confused with the ohm thing being discussed and I've been on Crutchfield for their recommendations for replacements and its leaving me more confused.

Can anyone pinpoint me on what ohm speaker or suggest a specific brand/model that will work back there or should I just replace with an OEM Bose unit since its just used to 'fill?'

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
One of my D Pillar speakers is fried and buzzing. I just want to replace the pair (with upgraded units) in those locations, keeping the rest of the system stock. I'm all confused with the ohm thing being discussed and I've been on Crutchfield for their recommendations for replacements and its leaving me more confused.

Can anyone pinpoint me on what ohm speaker or suggest a specific brand/model that will work back there or should I just replace with an OEM Bose unit since its just used to 'fill?'

Do you have the "Luxury" Bose system or the standard "Premium" Bose system?

Actually I just noticed your signature and it says you have a 2016 Denali. Not sure if they changed anything on the K2XX platform.

Hoganator

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't updated my profile. My project build is a 2007 Suburban Z71, but not sure on the Premium or Luxury though...would a Z71 package have one or the other usually?

I'm doing more reading and sounds like I need a 2 ohm speaker but I don't want to mess with the rest of the system at this point...just wanna get rid of the buzzing back there. I'd prefer to upgrade the speakers but not at the expense of messing something else up which I'm finding a lot with builds..lol

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't updated my profile. My project build is a 2007 Suburban Z71, but not sure on the Premium or Luxury though...would a Z71 package have one or the other usually?

I'm doing more reading and sounds like I need a 2 ohm speaker but I don't want to mess with the rest of the system at this point...just wanna get rid of the buzzing back there. I'd prefer to upgrade the speakers but not at the expense of messing something else up which I'm finding a lot with builds..lol

Bose D-pillar (3.5") speakers are 12.5 ohm for the non-LUX system and 3.25 ohm for LUX Bose system.

If you have a speaker in the center of your dash then you have the Luxury Bose system.

rps20200923_215926_192.jpg

If you DO NOT have a speaker in the center of your dash then you have the Premium Bose system.

With your truck being an '07 Suburban I would venture to say that you, more than likely, have the Premium Bose system, in which case you would need a 12.5 ohm speaker which is not common in the aftermarket.

Here is a link to one of my previous posts that you find interesting...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/bose-speakers.101909/page-5#post-1228439

Your best bet would probably be to replace it with a factory speaker.

Any more questions just ask.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094