CV shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rojerio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello i have a 1999 Yukon 4 wheel drive I've been having trouble with this truck i replaced the driver side CV shaft from auto zone and i replaced it like 6 times and it still keeps snapping & popping right away , i dont know what to do this is ridiculous does anybody know what the problem is and it only snaps and pops when the wheel is turn all the way to the right thank you.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

You might hold the record for the length of time between becoming a member and making your first post! 11 yrs? Wow!

A little vehicle history might help.

How long have you owned the vehicle?
How many miles on your vehicle when you swapped out the first CV shaft?
What caused you to swap out the CV shaft originally?
Is your Yukon at stock height or is it lifted/lowered?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Has it been wrecked up front on either side? Is the set back at the front and rear of the front tires the same on both sides? How is the suspension and steering across the whole front? Bushings, links, tie rods, idler, pitman.....etc.

OP
OP
R

rojerio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

You might hold the record for the length of time between becoming a member and making your first post! 11 yrs? Wow!

A little vehicle history might help.

How long have you owned the vehicle?
How many miles on your vehicle when you swapped out the first CV shaft?
What caused you to swap out the CV shaft originally?
Is your Yukon at stock height or is it lifted/lowered?

bought used like 12 years ago i have 20;s on there and i barely drove it now i have 150k miles and Yukon is at stock height .
How many miles on your vehicle when you swapped out the first CV shaft? i never checked
What caused you to swap out the CV shaft originally? popping noises

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so let me get this straight. You replaced the first shaft because of popping noises in the old shaft and replaced shafts 6 times for the same problem. I'm thinking it is not a shaft problem. Maybe a hub bearing. Like this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=196263&cc=1355510&jsn=2262

Certainly something else besides the many axles replaced.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

rojerio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has it been wrecked up front on either side? Is the set back at the front and rear of the front tires the same on both sides? How is the suspension and steering across the whole front? Bushings, links, tie rods, idler, pitman.....etc.
i replaced all rubber bushings front and rear and all ball joints ,tie rods ,idler ,pitman steering gearbox and i never wreck it i dont know if its ever been wrecked and i have all brand news tire the same brand , the only thing i didnt change is the hub bearings . there's play in the front end but mechanics cant find where

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Play in the front end, where? In the steering linkage, suspension components too much movement or not secured properly, check the steering gearbox mount area for cracks, wheel movement in the bearing when lifted and shake tire at 12-6 and 9-3. You say mechanics. Has been to several mechanics about this noise problem and loose front end?