CV Axle for 97 2dr, does it have ABS ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
None of the searches I did came up with anything on ABS ring for 97 Tahoe. So thought I would post a question. I need to replace CV Axles on my 97 2dr, 5.7 gas, along other worn front end parts. I want to get all parts ahead of time from Rock Auto before I tear it down. My truck has ABS sensors. Some of the CV axles appear to have tone rings for ABS, some don’t. I can’t find a part number for a ABS ring for my model truck. I’m of the opinion my CV axles may not require a ring, may be built in to the CV joint but not sure. Anybody have experience on this subject. I can always tear it down to find out but would rather not unless I have to. Thanks Billy

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I believe the tone ring can be swapped. I have never personally had to do it but I believe there are some threads about it. There are also numerous videos at YT about it.

OP
OP
W

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I kinda figured if I had rings and could get them off without to much damage I could reuse. I did quite a few Google searches and YouTube also. Watched a couple of videos of rings being cut off. I could never find anything vehicle specific. I need to hit you tube again on CV axle replacement and poke around some more.

OP
OP
W

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just found another YouTube vid I hadn’t seen before. Lost track of how many videos I’ve watched trying to figure this out. In this last one found, said if your sensor is in the wheel bearing you knock the ring off. They even knocked off the ABS ring in the video. I think I have this figured out but appreciate any comments. Thanks, Billy

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine off a few times and don’t remember seeing a tone ring (but wasn’t really looking for it, either). Here’s the only picture I have, I don’t think that I see one on it. 1998 model.

Any YouTube videos for a lower ball joint replacement should capture a good view of the axle.

IMG_9732.jpeg

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly tone ring is part of the hub that the CV joint slides into, not part of the CV joint.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the sensor mounts in the spindle, the tone ring has to turn past the sensor.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
W

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed those hubs out about 10-12 years ago and knew I had sensors but light didn’t go off!!. Sucks getting old LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right