Custom tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured this section needed at least one thread. Everyone always asks on every forum out there what the best programmer is, the best answer is a custom tune. The hand helds are ok I guess. I have a hyper tech that got me by for a while. Once the new motor went in it just was not what I was expecting until I had a dyno tune. That day the truck gained 40hp and 80 lbs tq. tell me that is not worth the money.:rocking:

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motor was about $4,500. Makes a decent bit of horse power and a ton of torque. 261.7hp at the tires and 378.3 tq. factor in about a 24% drivetrain loss and you get about 350/500 on the flywheel.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yea my custom tune added 29hp to the wheels.... i hear that the diablo tuner isnt a bad hand held though, and i also heard that you can call diablo and have the upload more peramiters onto the unit based on what you want.. just a little FYI

i still wouldnt ever recomend a hand held to a custom tune though.... the tune was the best $$$ I have ever spent

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motor was worth it I think, it was a crate motor from chevy HT383E (high torque, emissions legal) they call it a direct replacement for the 350...it kind of is but REQUIRED a tune to bring it to life. You still use the same fuel system as stock, we just bumped it up a bit on the through put. It is about maxed now so when I cam it I will need to upgrade the fuel system. i might pick up another 15hp or so. It this wasn't my DD, it would be carbed and well very different. My dad and all his buddies are really into SCCA racing and would love to build up a nasty 383. My dad seems to be a mad scientist with motors, kind of scary to watch these guys work. they know their stuff.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea my custom tune added 29hp to the wheels

i`d like to ask what custom tune you did to your truck? i just got my BB 91 octane tune last month in albany ny and i love it but i`m curious to find out what i gained. i just found a place a few miles from where i live that has a mustang dyno, they charge $75 for three pulls so i may throw my stock PCM in for a pull then swap to the tuned one to see the difference.

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PCMforless.com I forget the guys name that tued it. I got a 93 octane tune. My truck really needed a custom tune after the motor went in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos