Custom roof rack light bar mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found your old post love it!

I found a gd compramise though, they make magnetic mounts. I am going to play with those for now :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
magnetic mounts in... sigh they dont work on roof as the light bar is too wide and the roof creases interfere

will have to test on hood haha

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been SUPER nervous about cutting a hole in the roof to run electrical up for the light bar. However, after watching this, I'm convinced this is the way to go. The dude got some seal for running electrical on a boat. I just need to find one small enough to hide under the front trim for the roof rack. Then I hope to run wires back to the rails in the roof rack. I think I may expand on the electrical to have (1) USB power for say a gopro (2) wires to run power back down from a solar setup so I can have power to charge things when I'm camping.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out all it is called is a waterproof cable gland. That company makes really high end ones. I would buy one but sorted right now as they require drilling more than one hole.

Some of these other ones only need one hole but are plastic. hrm.... who has worked with these before?

geekdownrange

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used "Liquidtite" conduit and fittings to pass through the roof of a past truck. The fittings have O-rings on the outside and a wide washer on the inside to seal things well. There were a total of 4 penetrations for power, control, and RF cables. I had zero leaks over about 8 years I owned the truck.

Extra steps I took:
  • Chassis punches instead of drilling through the sheet metal.
  • A very thin coat of something RTV-like under the washer inside. (No, I don't recall exactly what I used)
  • Gland openings facing towards the rear.
  • One cable per gland. Otherwise sealing is compromised.

I found out all it is called is a waterproof cable gland. That company makes really high end ones. I would buy one but sorted right now as they require drilling more than one hole.

Some of these other ones only need one hole but are plastic. hrm.... who has worked with these before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14